Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Could the river bottom get it done again? EDIT to show arial photo

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mobow, Aug 17, 2008.

1. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well I just got home from glassing my river set......And I must say, it's lookin good! HUGE bean field surrounded by the river and timber to the north, a gravel road to the south, and corn to the east and west. Over along the eastern edge, there is a finger of woods that comes out of the main woods along the river....Right at the tip of that finger is the breakline between the beans and corn. I watched 3 bucks filter out of the corn past that point this evening.....And I don't know how many does I saw....

I mean come on.....Is it Sept 15 yet?????

2. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds the honey hole could do it again for ya Don. What caliber bucks came out tonight?

3. Bols

Bols Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on just getting to see some bucks. Is this around the area where you got that picture of the "Super Spike"? LOL!!!

I am going to glass a field sometime next week where I found that "Mr. Droptine" shed. After they ripped down the small woodlot I think he was hanging out in, I am hoping he just moved a little ways and stayed put around the same area.

4. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    John, the bucks I saw weren't very big.....I guess the biggest was around 80".......My plan was to glass that field until dark, but I had to leave early so that didn't happen. I was only there around 20 minutes or so, and saw 3 bucks and 5 does. I managed a photo of a couple of the does.....They're difficult to photograph from there as they are about 1/2 mile away. Shoot, I didn't even see one of them standing in the open until I glassed it.

Dave, no. This is a different place. This is, however, the property I killed my buck on last year. ;)

5. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    If you don't hunt there, you're a retard

6. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Dubbya, I agree. I'm headed there to glass it again this evening. Here's the arial of the place. The yellow is corn, red is beans, and blue are weeds. Disregard the yellow dot, and the green dots are stand locations. The far eastern one appears to be off the property, but it isn't. I just can't draw a straight line. That is a finger of woods that divides the 2 fields. I watched 3 bucks come out of the corn and filter past that point to feed in the beans the other night. The one to the north, along the river, the eastern most one, is where I killed my buck last year.

[​IMG]

7. Bols

Bols Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ahh, the beautiful riverbottom pieces. How are you getting to some of these stands? Looks like this year you can get to the western stands by just cutting down the field edges back to the woods? Corn is gonna help you there.

Alot of my fields are beans this year, so my access routes are nearly shot in all situations.

I can see why this places gets LOTS of action.

Once again, Dubbya is right. But you already knew that.

8. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That inner horseshoe, the western edge of it is a farm road. I can either park on the gravel and walk that road, or even better, drive back to the levee. Or, more to your suggestion, that I've never thought of, I could walk the western edge back to the levee and cut across. But man that's a LONG walk, and there's really no good wind for it. I would spook deer with pretty much any wind there is. When I hunt along the river, I hunt a north wind and drive to the levee. I'm downwind of most of the deer pretty much the whole time. They travel east/west along the river and never know I'm there. I think I'm going to need an east something wind to hunt that point.....

9. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Where are they bedding mobow?

10. Sliverflicker

Sliverflicker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Looks great Mo, Is the pic of the Buck you had on the other thread from this place?

11. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    No. Different farm. :beer:

12. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In the corn, and to the big chunk of woods to the east. Mainly. And besides that, pretty much anywhere they want to....:bash: Which is my delima. The most difficult part of this farm is access. There's virtually no way in that you're not gonna spook something, or at least have a good chance at it. I usually hunt it on a north wind and come in from the gravel road to the south. That's really the only direction you won't spook them. But, that's not a real good wind for that point stand.......I'm still workin on that part.....

13. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mobow that sounds like a perfect set up. Hopefully, it'll pay off for you this fall. Any of those bucks you seen shooters?