Corn field experiences? Need your input.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by buckeye, Oct 1, 2008.

1. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Think back.... On evening hunts, have you saw more deer enter into uncut corn fields or exit from them?

What about on morning hunts?.... I'd like to hear and compare my experiences to yours.

2. mobow

mobow Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well, my experience with standing corn is rather limited, because around here it's all cut by the time bow season opens. But, with all the rain this year, there is a lot still standing. One spot I hunt is right on the corner of one.

I've seen 1 deer enter the corn, and 2 deer exit the corn, all in the evening. I have not seen a single deer in the morning yet.

3. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i would have to say enter. alway kicked up a few on my to the truck when i used to hunt MN. could here them at the edges. mornings always saw em leaving for bedding areas. Evening=enter Morning=leave

4. MechDoc

MechDoc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I usually see them enter the fields in the morning.They usually bed and browse in the corn through out day and into the night.I think they only leave at night for water or other needs.Just my observations.

5. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am trying to test a "theroy" thru my observations and all of you non repliers aren't helping ;)

6. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Alright in my areas I always seem to see them entering no matter if it is mornings
    or evenings during bow season. It seems they like to bed in the taller grasses
    or wood edges right next to the corn fields.

T

7. wis_bow_huntr

wis_bow_huntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt a stand over looking a cornfield along the edge of our woods and it really doesnt make much difference, they enter and leave mornings and evenings. Being that we spray, we dont have any grass or weeds for them to bed in, but they will still bed between the rows.

8. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Evening hunts- I always see the deer entering the corn field from the woods. There has been some Instances where when the deer that entered the corn field from the woods were feeding In front of me, other deer have come from the deeper part of the corn field to join them and feed and mingle. Was the 2nd batch of deer bedded In the corn field? I'm not sure. They could of easily been but they also could of came In from the woods In a different area as well. My theory Is that the other deer that approached from the deeper part of the corn field were bedded In the corn.

Morning hunts- Not just to often did I see deer when I've hunted corn fields In the mornings. When I did they were feeding and from what I recall they never did enter the woods. From my look out anyway they didn't.

9. Cougar Mag

Cougar Mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Scott, I hunted opening day here in Illinois during the afternoon. I saw 9 deer total and every deer entered a green bean field. None of them entered the two cornfields yesterday.

This early in the season I don't put a lot of stock into if they are entering or exiting a cornfield because with all of the cover available at this time they can go pretty well anywhere they want.

10. huntingson

huntingson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mornings - Tend to see deer move into the corn early (or not at all) and back out and into the woods by bedtime. However, I do notice activity later with a standing corn field.

Evenings - From "normal" bedding areas to corn usually or, if from the corn, then seemingly from a direction that would lead me to believe they were simply travelling through it from another normal bedding area.

All in all I think the corn gives them a great place to hang out earlier in the evening and later in the morning, but I do not think that they bed in it all that often. I know that they do some, but it tends to be in the patches that were not planted well or did not come up and have grown in with tall grasses and it also tends to not be that often.

11. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Alright pal fess up and let me in on this theory.

T

12. PABuck_HNTR

PABuck_HNTR Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not tellin! No, I really don't hunt where there's much uncut corn. If you were asking about cut corn fields then I could give you input.

13. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I'll have a better answer for you after the first few weeks of the season, Scott :D I have a stand along an inside corner of two standing corn fields. Only a 10yd finger separates the two, and I'm at the bottom of that finger. The corn on our property stands until about the third week of November, so we'll see.

14. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Theory please?

15. MN/Kyle

MN/Kyle Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    :deer:

I've seen more deer entering in the evening.

16. dukemichaels

dukemichaels Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Depends on the cornfield for me.

But I've seen alot of bucks come out of standing corn in the evenings over the years.

Overall.. I'd say more out of.. than into.

17. dmjarb01

dmjarb01 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Most of the time, morning and evening, they are heading towards the corn. I don't hunt on field edges, but I, of course, hunt trails that lead to the corn.

18. Kelly/Ky

Kelly/Ky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In more than one sit....entering in the evening, leaving in the morning. But then those Ohio deer are probably backwards. Any pics yet?

Kel