Confusion with PIR sensor

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by Oklahoma99, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Oklahoma99

Oklahoma99 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So on my Wildgame Innovations IR8X trail camera, just like many other cameras, there is a PIR sensor sensitivity adjustment option. It can be adjusted to high, medium, or low. I always thought that if it was set on high, that it meant it took less motion and heat to set it off. WRONG. I had it set on high because I thought that meant it wouldn't be hard for an animal to set it off. After realizing that the camera wasn't being triggered as easily, I did my research and figured out the problem. Turns out the higher the sensitivity, the MORE heat and motion it takes to set it off. Even tested it out in the house and on the low setting the camera sensor was triggered way easier. Never had this problem in the fall and winter because a warm animal easily triggered the camera in freezing temps. People say to put the sensor on high in hot weather so the hot air won't trigger it as easy, but that also means that it would be way harder for an animal to set it off. Not sure why trail cameras are set up this way. Kind of frustrated because I could of had way more pictures of game if it wasn't for this mixup. In my mind they're completely backwards. Just needed to vent on that.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  2. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That sounds like the opposite of what it should be. In summer the sensitivity should need to be turned up because there is less of a difference in the body temp of the animal and the ambient air temp.

Blessings........Pastorjim

3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just had the same confusion with a new bushnell trophy cam. It was only triggering out to 20 ft, then I figured out the settings. Unfortunately that still didn't fix the triggering range issue. Called bushnell and it turns out I got a camera with a bad PIR sensor. Had the camera for a week and already have to send it in for warranty work.