Concealed carry.

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Cheesehead53, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Cheesehead53

Cheesehead53 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys I'm just about to turn 21 in a couple of months. I've been looking to get myself my first concealed carry gun. I've been looking at the Springfield XD 3″ SUB-COMPACT .40SW and the the Smith-Wesson M&P 40 Compact. What are your thoughts I'm not too worried about the footprint for when I'm carrying.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Bottom line is that you need to go shoot them. With the sub compacts the grips are usually shorter and most do not like that especially if you have big hands. Also need to make sure you can shoot them accurately. Either one of the two you have listed are perfectly fine but may want to consider looking at the 9mm as well as ammo is pretty plentiful currently. Good luck.

3. pitzer25

pitzer25 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i personally like carrying a 4 or 5 inch barrel for my conceal carry. they are larger but easier to shoot then a 3in barrel. i had a springfield xd compact in the 40 caliber and i didnt like it due to the grip being small. i also dont care for the 40 caliber round anymore i feel its kinda snappy and with a short barrel harder to control then 9mm. try and shoot the guns if you can but keep an open mind remember this is a conceal carry and the purpose is to use it for self defense so you dont need a cannon to do that. hell i know guys who carry a 22 for conceal carry. i personally have never been shot but i cant imagine charging someone after they shot me regardless of the caliber size

4. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just like a bow. Get your hands on them. I went in thinking a .40, but once I held the different options, one stood out for me. I don't have the biggest hands and the Sig P938 9mm with 7 round mag fit my hand perfect and the grips were extremely comfortable for me.

5. CMTRAV

CMTRAV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with everyone. Else I carry SW Shield in 9mm and am very happy with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I carry the same. I wanted to get the 40 but it was too much gun for my wife. I wanted something she would be comfortable using if needed.

7. Hoytxhunter

Hoytxhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great info. See what fits your likings. No matter which one you choose, make sure you practice with it and get used to how it feels. Also practice with it unloaded, by this I mean put it on your person where you want to carry it , even try different locations, then practice drawing it. Maybe even take a defense class. You hope you will never need to use it but if it ends up that one time comes up at least make sure you are prepared as you can be, The only thing you can't practice is the fear factor. I currently carry an XDS .45, prior to that I carried a Walther P99 QA in .40 Good luck

8. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have three that I carry at different times. M&P 9mm, FNS9C, and a glock 43. I LOVE my FN I find myself carrying the glock more than the other two though. It just fits better.

9. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My personal choice would either be a M&P 9c or glock 19. Some like the XD ,SIG's and H&K's.
    A M&P or glock will do what a Sig or HK will for 150-250 less. That right there will get you some ammo and a pistol class. As someone who teaches concealed carry in Missouri I can tell you that a CCW class is the beginning and that additional training on defensive shooting is a must.
    One of my M&P's has upwards of 10,000 rounds through it and is still going strong.
    I would most assuredly stay with 9mm in whatever handgun you pick.