Completely new

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Sfsapper, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Sfsapper

Sfsapper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So a little background, I posted in the intro forum. I'm 40 my son will be 14 in may. I rifle hunted in jersey from about the age of 12 to about 18 when I joined the army and haven't hunted since. I am completely relearning to hunt and teaching my son along the way. Chose bow hunting because it seems a little more rewarding.

so my question is I just ordered a 2017 halon, I was second guessing if I should have ordered the 32, I have read alot and it says the 32 is more stable and forgiving. But the non-32 is more compact and better for moving around especialy in the sticks. Should I have gotten the 32 instead since I'm new to bow hunting and it's more stable and forgiving, or does it not realy matter that much. Also trying to decide between the tru-fire max edge or the Scott echo, even thought about the tru-fire panic x but that thing is impossible to find so I'm giving up on that.

2. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome aboard!

Did you shoot the Halon that you purchased?

If it felt good to you and you were comfortable with it, then you made a great decision. The bow has to fit and feel right to you.

3. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I tend to like a little bit longer axel-to-axel bow myself. Having said that, I'm not sure most people would feel a big difference between the Halon and Halon 32. I've only put a few arrows through my 32, and I really like it, but I also really liked my Halon.

Welcome to the site, glad you're here!

Josh/OH likes this.
  4. Sfsapper

Sfsapper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I did shoot the halon, it was very quiet, it did feel very smooth to me. I also shot a bow tech another mathews bow and a hoyt, it felt good, but they were all maxed out at 70lbs and very hard to draw. But as a new bow hunter I don't really know what I am looking for and I was wondering if the halon shot well would the 32 feel even better since it is the same bow just longer, it was a 6 inch brace. i guess I am good with the halon and I will learn as I shoot more. Any suggestions on those releases I mentioned? the tru-fire max edge that has a nice padded wrist, or the scott echo. i have not used either of them.

TooL1915 likes this.
  5. Sfsapper

Sfsapper Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Picked my halon 32 this past weekend, got it set up, sighted and ran home to the backyard to run about 50 shots through it and this thing is amazing!!! quiet accurate it comfortable, glad i got the 32.

Fitz likes this.
  6. FLO

FLO Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats.

7. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The Halon is a great bow and will do you well. You are ready made the commitement to purchase it so don't let the second guessing get the best of you. The most important thing is that the bow is setup to fit you and properly tuned. Most people walk away because they don't think they can shoot and what it ultimately turns out is that the bow was not setup correctly. The 2 inch difference won't make that much difference. Congrats on the new rig and let us know how it goes.

In regards to the releases which one feels better to you?

8. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Glad that you have joined us in this addiction.
    Any bow that feels good when you shoot it is a very good bow!

9. TomTom1

TomTom1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You will be happy with the Halon, congratulations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You will love it. No worries. Part of me is jealous of the new experiences you have ahead of you. It never gets old, enjoy.

11. Bow Diddley

Bow Diddley Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Might as well start emptying your wallet now. For some reason Amazon keeps delivering stuff to me and I don't know why I need it. :)

Ranch Fairy likes this.