Colorblindness

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Sburns08, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Sburns08

Sburns08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So watching bow hunt or die as much as I do I relate to Troy Spolum being that I'm colorblind. Has anyone tried the primos bloodhunter flashlight? Apparently it's changes the color so it's easier to track a bloody trail. Any insight?

2. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm color blind too and I tried all sorts of lights. Including the primos one. This is why I shoot a big cut expandable so hopefully they drop in sight or leave a red carpet.

3. Sburns08

Sburns08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's been my go to, hoping to have a great shot and watch them fall. However, I found myself in a situation last year where I had to call my wife to come help me track and I never found the deer so I'm trying to find a better solution

4. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't know if you're aware of glasses they've created to solve it. Do a search on youtube, it's pretty amazing. Some are left in tears the first time they try them on. Never thought about them for bloodtracking, would probably work perfectly. I also have serious trouble seeing blood, unless it's still wet and shiny. :lol:
    They're not cheap though, 350-500

5. Me53

Me53 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My son is colorblind and you gentlemen may be able to shed some light on this for me. He likes to go hunting with me but seems to have limited success spotting game (not sure if it is age or eyes). I have checked out some of the online simulators, but still am left wondering...

Are there any specific adjustments or equipment you utilize when hunting? Any gimmicks to avoid?

6. copperhead

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely get his eyes checked. But I have noticed that I notice movement better than color. If a deer runs into a ticket and stands still I'll loose it. It has gotten better with age but as a kid it was hard. I love to hunt so I had to work harder.

7. Sburns08

Sburns08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    U hit the nail on the head, this is exactly what I do, I can catch movement really well. As long as they are moving I'm good, when they stop behind a bunch of brush I lose them

8. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    another color blind one checking in. those glasses dont work for me :( i got the test done and they said i was too far gone...
    tracking is tough I'll have to try out one of the lights

not to hijack the thread but do any of yall have trouble during practice with the pin against your target? ( I know I may be focusing too much on the pin, just wondering if my problems are compounded)

9. Sburns08

Sburns08 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I to have the same issue especially if my pin is red, it starts to blend in with the target....the struggle is real for us colorblind folk

10. mab

mab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last year, I heard about using hydrogen peroxide. When applied to blood, it will turn white and bubble up. I now carry a spray bottle of the stuff when I hunt. I too am color blind. I am the same as others before me, I have to look for movement. If they stop, it does make it tough for me to see them.

11. Me53

Me53 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the insight guys. I have an appt in early November to have him tested for the glasses.

I had not heard of or thought about the pin color/target contrast issue. Sure enough two of his 3 pins are colors he does not see well.

12. copperhead

Dislikes Received:
    I always use custom sights if multipoint and get yellow and green pins. If single I get a yellow or green pin. Red is hard to see for me at low light.

13. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am also colorblind and can't wait to get tested for these glasses. Peroxide is interesting too if this don't work out thank you for sharing everyone

14. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I was curious on this post as well... I am color blind and I have a terrible time seeing blood. I will see blood if pooled up but when it comes to the pen drop size on leaves I find myself looking at all kind of leaves that have dots on them and it not being blood! All my buddies make fun of me when it comes to blood tracking.... luckily the two deer I have shot with a bow I found without tracking any blood luckily. I have lost a hog though because I did not have anyone at my lease to help me track some of the blood. I know it is not always reliable but I go to the last spot that I see them and just go from there. If someone tries that light and has seemed to help please pass the info along. I hunt by myself a lot so that would be useful!

15. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I was going to suggest. It really does work.

16. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Very interesting. I had no idea colorblindness was this prevalent hunters. I think it raises ethics questions but I'm sure that's going to ruffle some feathers. Hopefully, most everyone has help they can call on. I want a tracking dog, if I were colorblind I would probably already have one. I've also heard of the peroxide trick.

With the peroxide trick, do you spray it and then look for the trail or do you "think" you see blood and use the peroxide to confirm it?

17. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Either or, but it works without a doubt. If you need to use it, make sure you have a whole bottle of it.

18. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Colorblind here too...but allow me to shed some light on this as you brought up the ethics of it. As a colorblind person I struggle with justifying going hunting without the knowledge I can call for help if needed even if that is a dog tracker. Now, I'm not as bad as others which is something many don't understand. Severity of colorblindness has quite the spectrum if you will and some might be but don't even know while a VERY miniscule amount of humans even cannot see color at all, not just mix up colors like most.

Over the years I've relied on my Pops which has bloodhound eyes on a track job and I've slowly begun to realize what is just another spot on a leaf or a true drop of blood...I've picked up and rubbed for confirmation of blood so many stinking times it has to be in the millions.

I've successfully tracked and located 2 deer that didn't die in sight by myself, so I have the confidence in my ability but definitely won't push a trail if I don't have help.

The one blessing this "curse" has allowed me is I've begun to realize I have a heightened ability to notice while trailing animals a broken twig, tracks, pushed over briar or such. Truly makes Pops and I an awesome tracking team because if blood is sparse he'll look to me to tell him where to look...and if blood is plenty I look to him to where to go.

The glasses are intriguing to me but I also have a small fear of them really showing me how bad my blindness may be...you train yourself to see what stuff is after years and years of being told....

(gonna try the peroxide trick...but best thing I've found is TONS of light)

19. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ty,
    You make some great points. I really like the part about being more aware of other tracking sign.

20. kjstaudt86

kjstaudt86 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I watched a youtube video shortly after i read this post with the hydrogen peroxide and watched a guy do it on blood. It really does foam up on contact and everything else is just regular color if it does not contain the blood. He even took a leaf and rubbed it on dried up blood that was left on his truck... The leaf showed no signs of blood after rubbing the blood on the truck but after he did the leaf was saturated white in the areas that he rubbed. I will definitely be trying this next year!