Colorado Elk 3rd Season (GUN)

Discussion in 'West' started by mhouck06, Feb 9, 2019.

1. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I dont belong to many forums so I figured I would ask here even tho this is pertaining to gun season..

I got invited on an elk hunt in CO for 2020. It would be the 3rd gun season. I do not know much about the hunt yet other than the price is cheap and that we have a cabin to stay in. My only issue is that is prime time rut for whitetail. I would love to hunt elk in CO but Im not sure what the 3rd gun season or any of that is all about. I have been trying to plan an archery elk hunt in CO, but I have never researched anything about hunting them with a gun or any of those seasons. I am just looking for some general input.. I have points saved to hunt wyoming sometime, I have been to montana.. To me its not urgent if I go, but I do not want to pass a good opportunity either. I know its unit 441 in CO.. thats about it.

Any general input about gun hunting elk in CO would be appreciated. Thanks!!

2. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Third season in Colorado is a pretty good hunt. You’ll glass pockets and dark timber. You won’t see the herds of elk, you’ll be looking for single bulls. There can be a lot snow and cold. Be prepared for long sits and moving in quickly.

DanyeckAdventures and mhouck06 like this.