Cold Weather Rubber Boots

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Tony, Nov 15, 2022.

1. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So I pulled the trigger on my first pair of rubber boots for cold weather. I researched it to death and these have the best reviews I’ve seen…

My biggest reason for going this way is I hate having to dry my boots every night after hunting all day or worse, trying to dry them out between a morning and afternoon hunt.

anyone have any thoughts or experiences with this brand?

DRYSHOD Men's NoSho Gusset XT Extreme Cold-Conditions Hunting Boot https://a.co/d/6PF30Wa

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tony I don’t have any experience with those boots but they look similar to the Arctic muck boots I have. My experience with calf high rubber boots is that your feet sweat no matter the temps or conditions. Once your insoles soak up that sweat they need to be dried out or you will feel cold feet on the next hunts.
    I believe most people give up on rubber boots because they put them back on with damp insoles. I know that’s not what you want to hear but rubber boots are great for leaving less scent on the ground while walking to the stand. They’re easy to put on at the truck and you can walk through deep water. A lot of positive’s with those boots.
    Also having different pairs to go with the different seasons is a must. I know you can’t go and buy 3 pair of boots right out of the gate, but next year you can add a light weight early season boot to your collection. I have 4 pairs now and really I don’t have to worry about drying a pair out in a hurry because I can switch to another set that’s already dry. Keep your insoles dry and I think you’ll learn to love them.

virginiashadow and Tony like this.
  3. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Supposedly, these have great moisture wicking properties… I guess we will see… my property is very wet in spots and I wear rubber boots for warm temps and love them

I don’t know.. $200 gamble… we will see..

4. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Your feet are going to sweat. Probably more than your regular boots if you are walking anything over 50yds.

Your socks have a ton to do with wet feet, but when wearing a cold weather rubber boot, good luck. If I had the option I would pack my pair of rubber boots in with me and put them on when I get to the stand, but they are so dang heavy. I’m also only wearing mine on extreme cold days with my heavy duty merino wool socks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  6. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I got my first pair of rubber boots this year. Cheap $40 pair of Redheads on sale at bass pro. They have saved my life on the spots I hunt due to water. I used them in 100 degree temps down to about 40 degrees. I need a good pair so thank you for this thread.

Tony likes this.
  7. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My only concern is with what and how much insulation is in them. I didn’t see it listed anywhere.
    I have a pair of 2000gm boots from sportsmens den that I wear in the late season sometimes. I also have a pair of lacrosse boots that are 1600 or 1800gm. Rubber boots are a pain but like you guys I’m crossing a ditch every hunt so they are a must.
    Peet boot dryers overnight do the trick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

miamijessejames and Tony like this.
  8. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I always take wadded up newspaper and stuff in down inside each rubber boot after wearing them. It pulls the moisture out.

Old guide in Missouri showed this trick to me. A guy by the name of Ray Eye.

9. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've long said I'm not a big fan of rubber boots in general for all of the reasons mentioned above. BUT, I do have some spots where I need to cross standing water to get into my stands, so they come in handy from time to time. I picked up a pair of Muck Apex Pro 16's earlier this year, and I've been very happy with them so far. My feet still sweat, which is expected with any rubber boot, but they are super comfortable and warm enough to keep me in business.

IMO, the idea that rubber boots somehow leave less scent on the ground than regular boots is one of the biggest pieces of BS science that's ever been fed to hunters.

cantexian and Bone Head Hunter like this.
  10. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I actually thought this was science?

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    What's the science exactly?

12. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If you really want to keep your feet warm get a boot blanket style cover you can throw a hand warmer into. I have a couple pairs of the old school hotmocs and can wear uninsulated leather with a mid weight merino sock down into the single digits comfortably.

13. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Does rubber hold human scent like other boot fabrics?

14. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My feet sweat in any boot and even some goretex boots don't shed the moisture fast enough on long walks. I haven't even worn my rubber boots this year, but I have the LaCrosse Aerohead (sport, I think) and they are good down to freezing. I have enough room in them for a foot warmer and that extra room to me is the key no matter the type of boot. Not loose enough to be sloppy, but room enough for good wool socks and a foot warmer. The biggest test on any of them is how far you have to walk. For me, I haven't really had a long walk to a stand in a loooong time, so I may not be a good reference point for some. Oh and I don't put those foot warmers under my feet. They get hard as they are used and it's like having a stone under my toes, so they go up top, stuck to my sock. lol

15. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    Its being able to stuff half your pant legs inside the boot that helps with the scent in my opinion. Walking through ankle high grass and and weeds I always felt rubber boots helped with not allowing my pant legs to drag the ground. But I’m no scientist just an internet special agent!

jonderrs7 and Justin like this.
  16. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    Sure doesn’t seem like it to me.

virginiashadow likes this.
  17. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Sure, why wouldn't it? Human scent sticks to whatever we touch in the form of oils, scent particles, or whatever else happens to be on our hands at the time. Do we honestly think those tiny particles don't stick to rubber for some reason? Or that the rubber itself doesn't have a scent profile built right into it?

The only real argument for rubber boots is that scent doesn't come out or through them the way that it may do for a regular type of boot. I can possibly buy into this theory. Do I think it "really" makes a difference? Nope.

I'm sure you can find countless hunters who will tell you tales of deer crossing their trail while wearing rubber boots, spraying down, and taking all the precautions, and they still become wary or spook. Likewise, you'll find the same amount of stories from folks who don't wear rubber boots and have deer cross their trail all the time without issue. If wearing rubber boots makes you confident in your hunting prowess, by all means, go for it. Confidence is key.

I haven't consistently worn rubber boots since 2009 and never plan on going back.

18. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Are you smelling your boots to make sure they don't smell like you? :lol:

19. camo75

Dislikes Received:
    yes! that is how you become one with the deer.

Tony likes this.
  20. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Spray on antiperspirant!!!! GUYS BUY IT

Spray your feet.... it works and WILL eliminate wet and cold feet regardless of the boots you wear. I have cold feet and hands all the damn time. I can now hunt with a merino liner and a heavier wool sock over top with an uninsulated leather boot down to below freezing. Then I switch to a pack boot... but SO MUCH has to do with keeping your feet 100% dry

Antiperspirant - try it