Cold/flu season

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by RCW3D, Oct 29, 2015.

1. RCW3D

RCW3D Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had to endure a cold/flu in the middle of the season, what do you do to control the coughing when you get back out on the stand?

I came down with a cold earlier this year and trying to hunt afterwards was a PITA...having coughing fits drove me nuts. The only way I was able to deal with it was by taking Dayquil before going out, absolutely slowing myself down on the way to my stand, and keeping a cough drop in my mouth the entire time. For the most part it worked, still had some minor coughing spells.

Any secrets to avoiding coughing? Do the mufflers work?

2. selfbros

selfbros Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I can't say, as I've hunted with a cough and never saw a thing. I have the same thing going on now and I wanted to go out this weekend, but I haven't sat this year yet and would hate to ruin an area or 1st experience due to my coughing. Sucks but I feel it could be a waist of my time and a good spot to risk it. Sleep in and drink lots of booze!

3. Davis

Davis Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I keep a pocket full of cough drops and plenty of water with me if i have a cough. If it's particularly bad I'll take some kind of cough medicine, but prefer not to because it definitely does not add to the experience.

4. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Honestly the best thing you can do is prevention. When the crap starts going around, start pounding the vitamins, drink tons of water and wash your hands and use hand sanitizer as much as you can. When you do get it, same regimen and rest. Try to keep it at bay and not let it totally floor you.

Trust me, I work for a very large university with 40K students. I also have two little ones in Elementary school. I am exposed to and get crap all the time. Lately however it has only been a touch of it and not the whole deal.

One thing that always helped my cough/throat situation is gargling and swallowing a very, very, very tiny amount of Listerine mouthwash. Yes I know it says to not swallow it. However, my dad told me of this years ago. If its a bit sore, swallowing what amounts to probably a 1/4 teaspoon at most helps kill whatever is in your throat and seems to help the cough.

5. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I carry about a half dozen Dayquil gelcaps along with some ibuprofin in my hunting pack. Will keep you awake and not coughing. Also stops your nose from running when it's cold. I haven't had to use them for a couple of years but I always have them there and when I have needed them they are worth their weight in gold.

6. InTheWoods

InTheWoods Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Get your flu shot. I did last year and got the flu, wait. Well, I got one again this year anyway. I've found coughing into my elbow to silence the sound pretty good. Read a good article about deer hearing not being much if any better than human hearing. So I think its only a problem if the deer are really close. Still, that's a problem!

7. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good advice!! Best thing is to do your best to prevent catching the cold. I take between 3000-5000mg of Vitamin C everyday as well as a Zinc tablet. It has helped me tremendously the past couple of years.