Cml5895's 2015 Shed Thread

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by cml5895, Jan 29, 2015.

1. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This year is looking like it could be the best, but most challenging for me. This year I moved away to Syracuse for college, making it only weekends at home in Western New York and local shed hunting out here during the week. Plenty of bucks on the hit list at home including a mega 6x6 with unreal mass (I'll only put up pictures if I get my hands on his antlers, sorry guys). But I've also got urban bucks here in Syracuse on the list. Here are a few...
    IMG_4401.jpg
    IMG_5241.jpg
    I have seen a dozen different bucks in a relatively small area, which should keep my chances high for picking up a few. Although I don't know how many others have their eyes on these bucks, should be dropping any week now!!

I started the year by finding a 2 year old shed in 6" inches of snow. I found its match last year and walked past this shed more than a few times. After seeing a 3 inch tine sticking out of the snow, I discovered most of it was buried.
    IMG_5130.jpg
    IMG_5131.jpg
    I began excavating carefully around the G2 and main beam. As I got further into the ground, I notice several points sticking out of the base which told me I had something special.
    IMG_5135.jpg
    After an hour and a half of digging in the frozen solid ground with only a pocket knife, I finally excavated this shed out. I couldn't believe my eyes.
    IMG_5137.jpg
    IMG_5140.jpg
    Here is the 151" match set together. My biggest to date. Happy to say the least.
    IMG_5145.jpg

Fast forward to this past Monday, I went out in search of dead bucks along a thru way that butts up to our land. with about 5% of bucks shed right now, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw tines sticking out of the snow, side by side!
    IMG_5220.jpg
    It was a 10 point match set that went just under 120". Later on I found a small fox that looked to be killed by a coyote? No holes in it, just a little patches of fur missing.
    IMG_5223.jpg

Well with snow conditions how they are right now, it looks like Valentines Day is going to be my next opportunity to start looking hard! Hope everyone has an awesome year.

Collin

Sheds-3
    Deads-0

2. sheddinva

sheddinva Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Way to start the year...that buried one was nuts, glad you found it. Some of my best sheds came from when I was away at college. Something about those urban bucks in the small lots

3. cml5895

cml5895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Finally got out again, about 1-2 feet of snow left but I had to give it a try. Found a nice matched set within the first 20 minutes so I figure it was going to be a great day. No luck.
    IMG_5481.jpg IMG_5482.jpg

Then I took my girlfriend and new shed hunting partner out on a walk with me. After about two miles I heard her yelling, "Collin! You didn't put this here did you?" and I walk over and there is a fork horn laying in the snow. Her reaction was priceless, between the high-fives and hugs. Its her first shed after two years of looking. I'm glad I could introduce her to shed hunting, and I'm sure she will be the one asking me to go, instead of the other way around. Couldn't be more proud of her!
    IMG_5485.jpg IMG_5486.jpg

4. rackaddict

rackaddict Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That's awesome! So much fun when they go along AND enjoy it! My wife is always asking when we're going next too! CONGRATS to you both!