Clover Plot Advice

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Bucka, Jun 17, 2022.

1. Bucka

Bucka Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Last year this time was the summer of purslane, a nasty weed (apparently edible if your into that) I nuked with 2,4-D. Long story to get to here/now so I won’t bore you with those details BUT…I have a plot I planted in winter wheat and Imperial WT Clover the end of last summer. I didn’t think it wintered very well but now it looks like at least 50% nice healthy clover, some tall grasses and a some ground cherry. I hate to kill and start over since there are deer actually feeding in there. Thinking I can drop some Slay on it, then over-seed the thinner areas with more clover. What do y’all think?

vermontwhitetail likes this.
  2. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That should work, I haven’t used slay but I have used arrest max with fairly good results, also add some crop oil to it.Try to plan overseeing just before a nice rain. Also put some low nitrogen fertilizer on it too. I have used a6-24-24 with good results. You can also go to your local fertilizer store and they should be able to mix you some.

vermontwhitetail likes this.
  3. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My observations.
    Purslane likes heat and dry soil.
    "White" clover does not.
    Is that your scenario?

4. Bucka

Bucka Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Not usually but it sure as last summer. This is a little kill plot in the valley behind the house. Actually sits in a low spot so as long as it rains some, there’s plenty of water. Drought last summer.