Clover cutting

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by ILLbowhunter, Jul 23, 2011.

1. ILLbowhunter

ILLbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When is a good/bad time to cut clover? My clover plot is starting to get overgrown with weeds. We sprayed our other plot last week. This one I'm not sure whether to spray it or cut it or do nothing. I don't want my clover to get choaked out.

2. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    A good time would be once the clover is getting well over 6" in height and flowering (trim back an inch or two for better growth and to keep the chutes more tender and palatable for the deer). If you're getting significant weed growth, mowing them back (the weeds) before they go to seed is your best option).

A bad time? When you're in the midst of a dry spell, or are expecting a dry spell afterward. Too much stress on the clover can significantly halter it's growth.

3. ILLbowhunter

ILLbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I went out and cut it on Sunday. We hadn't had any rain for at least a week. But it down poured right before I cut it. It was actually still dripping as I was cutting it. So hopefully that rain helped it and it will come back really thick.

4. RoweQDMfarms

RoweQDMfarms Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It definitely will help it out a lot, we take a bush hog to our plots twice during the summer. One time month and a half ago and getting ready to hit it the last time. Seems to really make the clover a lot more lush compared to weedy come deer season.