Clover AND Chicory?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Weekend Woodsmen, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Weekend Woodsmen

Weekend Woodsmen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking to get some food plots going, and I am going to just buy the individual seed versus going with some commercial food plot mix. I was planning on putting in half White Dutch Clover and half Chicory, but the price tag on Chicory is insane compared to clover. What are your guys' experience with Chicory versus clover, is it really worth paying that much extra for the chicory, or am I better off going with all clover?

2. jd4055

jd4055 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you can maintain it, grow it! You could get some wicked action in that one come fall.

3. solocamin1

solocamin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My family uses both. Deer seem to hit the chicory and stay on it more than the clover. Also chicory should be maintained cause its very lush and dense. we mow ours a few times during the season and keep it sround 6 to 9 inches tall and it stays longer and keeps it very lush. We dont use much we use it around our corn or bean feilds or we tuck it away in a spot we cleared anywhere from 1 to 3 acres if that and use a mix of both and it works well. They both work well if grown and maintained properly we also use alfalfa grass and deer seem to love that and they will stay on it all season to.

4. Weekend Woodsmen

Weekend Woodsmen Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you! We will give both a shot and see what happens. I noticed the seeding rate is 5lbs per acre for Chicory versus closer to 10lbs for Clover, so it makes sense why it is a little more expensive...don't need as much to do the same job!

5. solocamin1

solocamin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah you dont need as much and its way more lush you just have to maintain it and should cut it so it stays fresh and growing lush.

6. scarps23

scarps23 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Used a mix of both before. We will be reseeding the same mix again. We first planted it 4 years ago. Nice that it lasts awhile and doesn't need replanting every year. Deer and turkey love it. Our plot got overrun with fox tail last year and we are starting over. The clover and chicory was there, but the deer didn't hit it like prior years.

Once the snow comes they really hit it hard. Looks like pigs have been out in the field. We have a 2 acre plot.