Clothing Scent Control Storage

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by minnesota1102, Aug 26, 2016.

1. bowsie15

bowsie15 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a ziplock plastic bin I keep in my jeep all season. When it's closed right it is air tight. I also cut up pine boughs and grab some leaves and keep them in there no idea if it works or not but it gives me piece of mind it does

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. BradC36

BradC36 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do what I can to keep my clothing "scent free". I am not going to go on a rant about any scent control products, because I think that playing the wind is much more advantageous, but I do use them to wash and store my gear consistently, as do the core group of guys I hunt with. I attached a pic from 5 years ago, and the trophies have gotten much better, and more frequent as we've started paying more attention to our scent. This is without my bucks as well as one other guy from our group, and there are probably 15-20 more we will be adding to the pic when we redo it next year (All taken in NY btw). image1.jpg

3. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's all the mounts you guys have???? chhh. I've got that many just in my bathroom. :lol:

4. JLS

JLS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    All of my clothing gets washed in peroxide and baking soda, air dried, then stored in the tool box in the back of my truck. I keep all of my hunting gear scent free and stored in the back of my truck year round so that I never pick up any house or shop related odors.

5. Swampthing

Swampthing Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I keep mine in a pile in the backseat of my truck and usually get dressed before I drive to my spot. Sometimes I even stop for gas on the way.

6. BradC36

BradC36 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Even with the deer we've killed since that picture, it's not very impressive :bhod:

7. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    First I bleach my washing machine and let it air out overnight, then I run 3 loads of baking soda water only through it (with no clothes.) Then I wash my clothes in scent killing soap. Then I dry them with the fresh earth dryer sheets. Then I store my clothes in Plano 108qt sportsmans bins (with the O-ring) with unused fresh earth dryer sheets.

Then about a week before season I'll hang them outside overnight and before I put them away I break some fresh pine boughs off the tree in my yard; smack those against the tree trunk to bust them up and get the smells pumping out; then put those branches in a delicates fine mesh bag (also washed/stored with the clothes) and re-pack my clothes with the pine branches top and bottom. (Mesh bags keep sap off the clothes.)

I also practice strict boot and personal scent control. Overkill? Probably. But I've not been winded (so far as I know) in a long, long time. I also hunt up drafts as much as possible which is pretty easy in most of my spots. But I have had both young bucks and wise old nasty nannies come in straight from downwind and never so much as look up.

8. Windwalker7

Windwalker7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I get a few chunks of charcoal from a woodburner and throw in the plastic tote with my hunting clothes after washing in unscented detergent.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

9. Wesley Lofton

Wesley Lofton Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Wash/dry with scent free stuff after season, store in air tight containers with bags of cedar chips, wash again before season, then keep most stuff in my Watson airlock bag with bags of cedar chips, wash a couple times throughout the season. Honestly don't remember the last time I was winded and knew about it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use scent free soap and then put my hunting clothes in either Zip Lock bags or unscented garbage bags. Some scent spray before I go out and that's it. Playing the wind will help the most above anything.