Clothes for Layering...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt

Keep_Calm_And_Bowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was wanting to get some other people's opinions on some good clothing options for when it starts to get cold. I live in North Carolina and we usually don't see very high wind speeds, and the coldest that I have ever seen it get was 10 degrees at the very end of the season. I'm very skinny so I don't have the luxury of having my own built in insulation. The main things that I have been looking at getting are a pretty good base layer, particularly merino wool, and perhaps a vest. I like the thought of having a vest since it does not hinder my arm movement, and that is very important since I exclusively bowhunt.

My current outfit is:
    Treezyn LS Jacket
    Under Armor Polyester Hoodie
    Long John Shirt
    Under Armor Polyester Base Layer

Treezyn LS Gen2 Pants
    Sweatpants
    2 Pairs of Long Johns

2 Pairs of Wool socks

All of that is pretty good until around 31 degrees and then I start to not feel my toes. I was just wanting to get some recommendations and opinions from people who have had experience with either merino wool or a certain vest.

2. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Duluth trading company shoremans fleece, thick fleece that is windproof

warmest thing in the world, and can be worn outside of hunting season

3. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You specifically mention your feet, but are asking about base layers...I'd see if resolving your cold feet will help before rethinking your entire set up.

I also fight to keep my feet warm, it is rare for my core to drive me out of the stand before my feet do. I've tried several different boots, just light socks (for circulation), one light pair and one heavy wool, just wool...nothing works. I make sure to not let my feet sweat before I get in the stand. This year I discovered the best thing that works is a pair of boots that are NOT waterproof (so they'll breath), one pair of light socks, and full length Hot Hands brand foot warmers. If waterproof footwear is used with the warmers then they don't get enough oxygen to work. I've thought about trying some heated socks, they would save on keeping a supply of foot warmers on hand.
    As far as my core, I prefer to add a base layer before changing my outerwear if the temps drop below what I normally dress for.
    Make sure to take a few shots in whatever new setup you try to ensure no string interference, etc.

J-Beck likes this.