climbing treestand

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Wubba, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Wubba

Wubba Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am considering purchasing a climbing treestand. being a larger guy (275LBS) I was just wondering how safe these climbers are and if there is any other bigger guys using a climbing stand and if they feel safe in them up 20 feet in the tree.

Summit or Lone Wolf

any advice will be appreciated.

2. Fuzz_27

Fuzz_27 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hang on or ladder man, IMO climbers are the worst thing invented for hunting. A hang is just as portable minus the sticks but I'd still go with a ladder or a hang on if I were you. I'm 150lb an I don't even like climbers so that should be a hint.

3. Big Brad Va

Big Brad Va Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm pushing 260 and feel completely comfortable in my ameristep climber. I'd like to get a summit or lone wolf next though. I want to try the hang ons, but hunting public land isn't the best idea for hang ons that will get stolen. Get one rated for 300lbs and you should be fine

4. Fuzz_27

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe I used somethin obsolete to yours then, because I felt like it was gonna give way at any moment. Just for piece of mind an safety I'd still go with a ladder or hang-on. I'm gettin either a big game xl for this year or a summit edge I think it's called. Both great stands with large platforms

5. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My fiance weighs 285 in his hunting clothes and uses a summit open shot. (which is their smallest climber)

I am going to be getting him the summit 180 max sd climber this year. It has a 350lb weight limit and is just bigger. The Open Shot's platform is a little on the small side for his size 13 boots.

6. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I would rather hunt out of my summit viper than any other style treestand I own. Im 6-1, 230 and if I were any bigger I'd go with the Goliath. Summit make great climbing treestands, rock solid and as comfortable of stand you'll sit in. I completely disagree with Fuzz on this one.

BStirl likes this.
  7. deerct1011

deerct1011 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Summit climbers are really good. I have the viper but really want the open shot.

8. Fuzz_27

Dislikes Received:
    It's personal choice, I'd rather be strapped to a tree then just teeth dug in to one. Safety>portability

9. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Summit Viper... Love it... and have killed all of my biggest deer out of it! 240 lbs...no concerns that it isn't sturdy enough. My buddy has the larger one and he's 320 lbs and is very happy with his.

10. nsimmons

nsimmons Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Neillsville, WI/ Chippewa Falls, WI/ Spooner, WI
    I don't know what fuzz_27 problem is with climbers. I think they are the only way to go. Especially if you are hunting public lands where you need it to be portable. I have a summit open shot and I love it. I own two other climbers one ladder and 3 hang on. My favorite to hunt out of is climber. I absolutely hate ladder stands mine is up in the rafters and probably won't be coming down for awhile. I would suggest getting one of the bigger models that summit has they make some real nice climbers. If you don't hunt public I think a hang on stand is better if you are just going to put it up and leaving it there all season and you have multiple stands throughout your property

11. Fuzz_27

Dislikes Received:

Once again personal preference, what exactly makes you feel so "safe" by using a climber? That boggles me, but once again it's all in your personal choice. I haven't used a newer climber only one that was I'd say 6-7 years old. An decided I'd never being doin that again, went out bought a ladder stand, assembled it CORRECTLY ( if yours creaks or makes a bunch of noise climbing or sittin in it, something's not right) an used that the rest of archery season. It's all in what you feel comfortable with, an I'm not with a climber.

12. Kleetus31

Kleetus31 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Fuzz, I think you maybe you just had a poor climber that has ruined your opinion of them. First, any climber that I have been in has the holes to secure it with a ratchet strap to the tree, so the teeth aren't the only thing holding you to the tree when used properly. I have been in several makes of climber and have felt safe in all of them. I am currently using an API (cheaper) but feel every bit as safe and comfortable as when I used a Summit climber on a bear hunt in Canada (obviously bought a Summit surround seat for mine after that though haha). I also use a safety harness when I climb so maybe that helps with my feeling of security. Also, one could argue the point that climbers are "safer" than hang-ons (when used properly) if you look at the statistics on reported tree stand falls. I believe a source I read stated that a vast majority of falls happen when transitioning from sticks/steps to the stand or vice versa. I may have misread this, but I am too lazy to look for it right now :) I am not arguing that climbers are better than hang-ons, I am just saying that both are just as "safe" when used responsibly and properly.

13. finnshady

finnshady Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I to like the climber, I'm using the Ameristep Grizzly it is an older model that weights around 35lbs, but it is sturdy as the great oaks i put it on. I arrowed four deer out of it this season. Climbers take a little practice to get used too and get leveled out, but I like them. I seen the new muddy hang on. A person can get multiple straps, and put the strap on a couple trees and just move the stand and hook it in the groove slot for fast attachment to the tree.Thinking about checking one of those out.

14. Fuzz_27

Dislikes Received:
    Maybe yins are right an I just had a bad experience, but I know I'm never trying another one. Ill stick with my ladder an hang-ons.

15. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Has anybody tried the x-stand climbers? I'm interested in the X1, but would like to hear some opinions on it before I spend the money

16. wwo

wwo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am also looking into a climber. I was looking at the lone wolf assault hand climb. Pricey but looks light and very packable. Anyone ever use this? Any help would be great also.

17. MassBow413

MassBow413 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If your looking for a bigger climber look at the summit Goliath

18. Thunderbolt52

Thunderbolt52 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  19. Travis R Marine

Travis R Marine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lol I just sold my summit viper today actually... lived the stand, comfortable and lightweight, much better than the "tree lounge" i used to have... however with seventeen ladder stands to attend to i didnt really have much use for a climber.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

20. Thunderbolt52

Thunderbolt52 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    See I keep my ladders up....but when I go to a new spot..the climber comes in handy.....I ll be taking the ladders down soon.....