Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Climbing stick question

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by snuff, Oct 24, 2022.

1. snuff

snuff Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’m new to the hang and hunt setup I’ve always used a climber wanted to try the hang and hunt style I like it a lot so far but when I get my sticks on the tree and go up they make a creaking sound it’s coming from the daisy chain strap against the tree they are hawk helium sticks and the factory straps just wondering do I need to get different straps or is that a normal sound it has done it on both my setups I’ve had so far one red oak the other was a hickory tree

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've always experienced the creaking when I overtighten and the step cannot "set" with a downward motion tug and when first stepped on...the strap is so tight it is not allowed to "sag" some to set and use the down force against the tree to be tight - rather I tightened the strap to the point it is merely trying to keep the step up without sagging at all.

jonderrs7 and snuff like this.
  3. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It could also be the standoff. For some reason they creak or squeak on certain trees. Maybe try a different type of tree and see if you get the same results. I also have one brand of stick that will pop when stepping on the step. It's the step wobbling on the stick and making the pop, from bad tolerance between stick and step.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

tynimiller and snuff like this.
  4. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It is the Hawk sticks, had the same issue when I owned them a couple of years ago. Switched to Trophyline sticks, problem solved. I tried used the Hawk Straps, daisy chains, and amsteel ropes. It was the sticks. Hawk's quality went to junk a few years ago when the manufacturing started being done in China.

snuff likes this.
  5. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Regardless of brand of stick, one thing I have noticed with almost any stand or stick is the finish on them makes the noise. Simple fix. Take a course file and rough up the contact points on sticks or stand.

Justin and snuff like this.
  6. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not a fan of the hawk sticks at all. The standoff are way too short and the straps are too visible

snuff likes this.