Climber or Hang on w/ sticks

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by patinthehat, Nov 12, 2014.

1. patinthehat

patinthehat Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am currently using a LW Sit & Climb Combo 2 but am thinking about going to a LW hang on with a set of climbing sticks. Mostly due to the fact that I hunt a lot of different properties (mostly all pines) and it gets quite annoying having to carry a saw in with you and cut every branch so you can use a climber. I know there are pro's and con's to using both that I haven't even considered so post up which you would rather use and why. Thanks!

2. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a climber stand that I love. I've had it about 4-5 years now. However, I have found it harder and harder to find a tree suitable for a climber on that "hot" trail with fresh sign that is good with the wind. I have have noticed more the past 2 years were I was wishing I had a hang on stand and sticks. I am sure I will be getting them for next year. 3 times in the past 2 years I have set up on a hot trail in the only tree I could climb and had no cover and stuck out like a sore **** and been busted by shooters. In each of those times I sit there picking trees that would've had a way better set up with a hang on and sticks. Just my 2 cents.

3. Scout22

Scout22 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    There are dozens of threads on this. On this site and others. If you can, have both. Ive had a climber for years and had the same issue. I don't know how many times I found a great spot, then went and found a tree I could climb somewhere else. With a climber its a crap shoot. But when the right tree is in the right spot it is the easiest stand to use. The hang on is needed in the places that don't have the right tree. Killing a buck is not easy, but having both options in a stand helps.

4. Longdraw

Longdraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Both is way to go.

How about sticks to get past the limbs, then lock on the climber? Is that a possibility? I only have a hang on and think the climbers look more comfortable.

5. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just remember you can climb any tree with a lock on and sticks...but only certain trees with a climber.

I have both a LW alpha 2 and assault 2 with 4 sticks each. Also a summit viper which I haven't even used in 2-3 years.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  6. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Matt on the sticks and hang on.

I went with the LW sticks (good quality, light, packable, not cheap though-but I used gift card so...) and a cheaper stand.

Only regret that I have is my next stand will be lighter as I'm packing in and out ~35lbs (stand, sticks, bow, pack with gear and harness) each trip as I'm hunting public land.

~Bill

7. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yep I say both. Each has its time and place. But if I absolutely had to choose just one I would go hang on with sticks.

8. soccerdan90

soccerdan90 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd go hang on and sticks if I had to choose.