Citronella thermacell essential oils

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by chopayne, May 24, 2014.

1. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So couple of things.

What are your experiences with citronella candle?

What are your experiences with thermacell?

Have you tried the essential oil rubdown with citronella peppermint and other oils inside, if so how was it?

I should be getting my dog soon here in missouri. I'm worried for him and myself. I was going to buy some thermacell but I can already see that it will be pretty expensive if I use it on a daily basis. So I've been researching and seeing people use a spray or rub based on citronella and other essential oils. Thinking about making my own blend since realistically that's all the vendors are doing, and none of them on etsy provide a money back guaranty. How do you all get around without getting bitten ticks or mosquitos? I understand there is permetherin which I will be buying for my clothes but not for my skin.

2. donut757

donut757 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Permetherin has worked well for me and i just spray the Off Deep woods on my skin. While hunting the thermacell does work very well about almost making a fog around you and the bugs will stay away.

I have stopped using my thermacell because it brings the yellow jackets up to 20 ft in my treestands. Id rather listen to gnats buzz in my ear than have yellow jackets hovering around my thermacell and sitting on my knee and bow, Im a girl when it comes to stinging insects. But they do work.

3. chopayne

chopayne Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Haha, yea I think id rather take mosquitoes over yellow jackets. The thing about bug spray and me is that I hate the way it feels on my skin, kind of like the tags in the back of the shirt, I just cant stand it. What do you do about your pets if you have any?

4. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ticks fear me