Chris Brackett's 60 Yard Shot Video, Rant, etc.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So elk don't move huh?

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Not the way a whitetail does. And you're shooting at a target that's 2-3x the size so there's greater room for error.

mikey custom-g likes this.
  3. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    There ya have it. The perfect excuse to take a high risk shot. Great advise Mr Admin

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    :lol:

So you're telling me taking a 60 yard shot at a whitetail presents the exact same risk as a 60 yard shot on an elk?

mikey custom-g and cantexian like this.
  5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Perhaps you have never hunted elk? Personally, I would not hesitate to take a 60 yard broadside shot on an elk. 60 yards on a white-tail, not even touching my bow unless it is head towards me.

6. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A 60 yard shot at an elk is the equivalent to a 40 yard shot on a whitetail IMO

7. Keef

Keef Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    He definitely is not a good example for young hunters to follow. Can't stand his antics and no longer watch the show.

Just curious how did he do at the ASA shoot. He made such a big deal about doing it to show h

8. Keef

Keef Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Don't know if anyone mentioned it in this long topic, but I read on Archerytalk that Brackett finished 68 out of 71 shooters at his first ASA shoot.

On the other subject, I've hunted a lot of years. I've shot at 2 whitetails at 40 yards, both ducked the string. I've killed 2 elk at 50 yards and a muley at 55 yards. Yes whitetails have a quick response to noise. Now I don't shoot at them over 30 yards.

9. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This is funny! :tu:

10. Schultzy

Dislikes Received:
    No they are definitely not the same animal but laugh all you want. I've seen a few horror stories in person myself of hunters I've elk hunted with that have taken these shots in which more turned out bad then good. Some turned out great yes but more of them didn't. Funny how you never hear about the bad experiences on these precious hunting forums. Not a person in the world can tell me straight in the face that they'd much rather take a 60+ yard shot then a 20 yard shot. The risk is greater even with the elk being a bigger animal. One lung hit an elk then, best of luck getting him. The bow hunters of today will eat up any info or excuse out there just to justify themselves in taking more or less a gun shot. For me it don't matter the size of animal. I'll live to hunt another day. As for me I'll praise you like no other hunter out there shooting and getting an elk at a close distance. That's something to be damn proud of right there!!

11. Junior73

Junior73 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm of the opinion that there are two types of people who participate in our sport and they are hunters and shooters. Shooters can put an arrow in the bullseye or in the "X" all day from any distance. This is a skill that can be taught to anyone as long as they are willing to put in the time. Hunters, however, are born with a totally different set of instincts and abilities which can not be taught no matter how hard you try. Abilities such as patience, woods craft, the ability to read the lay of the land where you're hunting and predict where what you're hunting will travel to and from and most importantly the ability to be cunning enough to get your prey close enough to practically spit on are things that we're born with. Do I personally possess ALL of these skills? Not at all! However, I get more enjoyment out of a hunt (be it deer, ducks, coyotes, pheasant, whatever) if I take the animal at close range because I know that I outsmarted it and put myself in a position of advantage to make a clean, ethical chip shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

12. Kfili

Kfili Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just to chime in to the discussion about Mr. wonderful CB...That dude is something else, I was listening to the Bowjunky podcast episode that he was on recently and had to cut it off, "yea I just picked up my bow and was amazing without ever practicing blah blah blah," I cant stand that persona hes created for himself

w33kender likes this.
  13. Keef

Keef Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would love to know how he gets sponsors. Are they OK with his brash, egotistical mannerism? I guess so.

w33kender likes this.
  14. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Terrell Owens, Deion Sanders, et el, all had lots of jersey sales in America, too. Bragging and being FOS seems to be a drug for some folks. CB sure can shoot a bow and a lot of big mouthed athletes are talented. I'm not entertained by their act though.

15. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You guys can't see real talent.

[​IMG]

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Brad he has lots of other skills he has been shooting with his head up his ass for years.

cantexian and Justin like this.
  17. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty sure he coordinates his wardrobe with Bloodcrik. :lol:

fletch920 and BJE80 like this.
  18. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Germ needs to send CB a pink one. He would rock it!

19. Bowtech00

Bowtech00 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Lol all the gripping about shooting 60 yrds, just because you can't don't mean others shouldnt...alot I mean a lot of whitetail are shot 60yrds plus, especially out west...but hey shoot what you can

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

20. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think you mean "griping", unless you are talking about how you hold your bow. :bow:

I can shoot well at 60 yards. But, I have enough discipline to not try it on a whitetail. Like most here have agreed, there are just too many variables that come into play at that distance on a whitetail. But, there are always those that would rather fling an arrow and cross their fingers. Sometimes it works.

Schultzy and Justin like this.