Chris Brackett's 60 Yard Shot Video, Rant, etc.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin, Dec 9, 2016.

1. tkaldahl2000

tkaldahl2000 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate that you not only talk the talk, but as seen in the show this week you guys walk the walk. Todd passing up a marginal shot angle is evidence of that. If you have to learn everything the hard way, you're going to spend a lot of time feeling crappy about lost deer.

2. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    To practice good shot discipline you have to overcome your ego. It's like a zen kung fu master type thing.

3. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He knows he can make them all. Even over 100 yards on a living animal. That is the problem. What he "knows" and what is ethical and accurate are two very different things. Animals were never meant to be targets. Animals move. Flinging arrows at a target is one thing, to fling arrows at an animal is a whole new level of discipline.

The clown took off today for his lease to try to kill the buck he crippled the other day with a new bow that he sighted in last night in the dark in his driveway. And, he thought that was really cool information to post up on his Facebook page today. Besides being ADHD, I think he must have other challenges.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  4. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  5. Weston Whitetail

Weston Whitetail Newb

Dislikes Received:
    On his Facebook profile he says "MY GREATEST FEAR IS NOT LEARNING FROM MY MISTAKES"*

Is it irony that he took 35 minutes to try to justify his mistake instead of learning from it

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

6. Weston Whitetail

Weston Whitetail Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Also under his favorite quotes section he quotes himself which adds to his awesomeness 8-/

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

7. mobowdoebuck

mobowdoebuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The arrow is in the air a long time, they might move and you just wound the animal. Which is exactly what happened.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

8. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I can "make" every shot I take at a target at 80 yards. All day. But a deer is not a stationary target and given the paper plate-sized area you need to hit if that deer takes one step between the time you release the arrow; that's a maimed or missed "target".

Nobody has any business taking that kind of shot unless they can mind control the animal to stay perfectly still during the entire process. I don't know anyone who has mind control over animals. Cool wizard beard or no.

9. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i don't know how he gets any sponsors?

10. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    He is a walking, talking rectum.

11. blueicefire

blueicefire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not possible.. He stated that he's using his Elite Impulse 34 at 80#'s with a 30" draw and 450 grain arrow.. then in his earlier video posts that it is chrono'ing at 339ft per sec. I have a problem with this, first that bow at IBO's at a 30" draw at 340 (MAX), that's with a 30" draw, 70#'s and a 350 grain arrow (IBO spec's).. Umm.. no matter what calculator I put this in, the numbers don't add up to that speed, so I doubt he's shooting that fast.. So count that he has 2 sets (top and bottom) of "speed" buttons, tied in peep, d-loop, etc, etc.. with a 450 grain arrow, 30" draw and 80#'s that bow is shooting 333 with nothing tied in he's shooting 335 MAX... Add all that crap in and a cable based drop-down and he's around 320 - 325 MAX and that's in a hooter shooter, take another 3fps off due to human release.
    When you consider all the factors from a math formula perspective I'm just not seeing how it's possible for that bow running that fast.

Spped.jpg

12. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Uh, :busted:

And this is the last brain cell I'm gonna waste posting on Mr. Wizard.

13. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    You can maintain your opinions that are largely based on your lifetime of experience hunting midwestern whitetails, that's fine. Until you experience it I would encourage you attempt to understand, that animals behave differently in different environments. I urge you to prove me wrong based on the examples provided below (or any others for that matter).

As MnMoose pointed out, I did kill an antelope at 62 yards. I'm not entirely sure how that's "bringing up a bad part of the show," the antelope was making a scrape and the arrow couldn't have been placed any better IMO. As JZ stated, it's a different ball game. Shooting 60 yards seems like a shot in the dark to some... And I certainly don't advocate anyone shooting at distances further than they're comfortable or capable. However, some people practice extensively at that distance, specifically when the animals they're hunting act like 3D targets until the arrows is in the dirt on the other side.

Because we're talking about it, and I'm the one involved in most of the western animals killed at longer distances let me give a brief explanation of the difference. I'll use the kills aired for examples. The difference between western animals and all the whitetails in the rest of the united states boils down to two things, environment and pressure. The highly pressured whitetails that live in the woods, thick brushy bedding areas, standing crops etc., live life through their nose and their ears. Western animals live mainly, through their eyesight and their nose. Pronghorn sense of smell isn't that of a whitetail or an elk but it certainly exists. They trust their eyesight so much that if they don't see the danger, it almost doesn't exist in their minds. Hearing things, like a bow going off is the least of their concerns. Mule deer live in open country, just like antelope... it's windy most of the time and they generally see danger before they can smell and definitely before they hear it. Again, unless the sound accompanies something else like sight or smell, they're not bothered. Elk will smell you from forever away and they'll see you, but they typically don't care about sounds because they're extremely noisy animals, jumping string... not likely at all. Whitetails that live in the "woods" can't see much due to the cover that makes them safe, so they rely on their nose and their hearing. Typically, they're more edgy by their sheer nature (a lot of that has to do with pressure), but even whitetails out here are different.

The pressure side... This is just a few of the top states. Pennsylvania has four times as many licensed resident hunters as we have people in our entire state. Think about that. I'd venture to guess that 90+% of our deer will never be within 100 yards of a tree stand.

-Wisconsin: 895,000 Licensed Resident Deer Hunters
    -Illinois: 303,000 Licensed Resident Deer Hunters
    -Michigan: 1,005,000 Licensed Resident Deer Hunters
    -Pennsylvania: 1,300,000 Licensed Resident Deer Hunters
    -New York: 812,000 Licensed Resident Deer Hunters
    -Texas: 645,000 Licensed Resident Deer Hunters

Look at all the videos of western animals shot at distance since season two and tell me which animals out west jumped string, I can find one whitetail doe back in 2012 and that was inside of 30 yards out of a wide open ground blind that was set up that day.

S2E8 - Two antelope at 60+ yards, neither reacted until the arrow made contact.
    S2E9 - Mule deer at 50 yards, no reaction until contact.
    S2E23 - Antelope 58 yards, no reaction until contact, I pushed the shot right.
    S6E12 - Mule deer 50 yards, no reaction until contact.
    S6E27 - Whitetail 43 yards, no reaction until contact.
    S7E16 - Elk, 70 yards, no reaction until contact.... either time.

The ones you don't have visual proof of...

This year's mule deer, 61 yards... no reaction until contact
    2011 mule deer, 51 yards... no reaction until contact
    2010 Antelope, 55 yards... no reaction until contact

I'm not looking for a fight but to think that all animals, everywhere, are the same is almost comical.

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Very good points Dubbya, but Brackett is still a D-bag.

15. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think this dead horse has been beaten beyond recognition. Hasn't it?

16. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not that it would matter but it's actually a 415 grain arrows not 450. He misspoke in his video. I went back and watched the set up vid. The tech states a couple of times it's a 415 grain arrow. Either way I don't see 339 and in the vid his first shot is 335. I think 330 would be possible with that arrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

17. blueicefire

blueicefire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Plus I looked back at the screen shot and his bow setup for him the IBO is 340 not 350. Like I said I was playing with all kinds of combinations and different formulas and forgot to swap it back. So it would be even slower.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

18. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Don't misunderstand me.... There isn't anyone that is less of a Brackett fan than me, and that's from the very beginning.

19. frenchbritt123

frenchbritt123 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Damn. Just going to bite my tongue. Lol.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  20. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm legitimately interested in what you have to say. Why bite your tongue? It's a public forum and it's a discussion, it's not personal.