Choosing bow specs from home?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rugger, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Rugger

Rugger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are there any standard calculations/measurements I can take at home to help approximate the specs that will fit me best? I don't have any real archery shops near me so I'm hoping I can approximate and order from home. I realize this isn't the best approach but hopefully it will get me close.

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I drive well over an hour to my good bow shop and while I hate to do it.....
    it's worth every minute spent and I've been shooting for a long time.

Being new, while there are many approximations that could get you close, (remember close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades) archery is a sport that is a precision sport and if you start out without a good fit, you will get very frustrated quickly and likely develop bad habits that will be very hard to break.

Road trips can be fun!!!!

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Do you know your DL? All bows are different when you draw nice to be able to adjust the draw length and shoot to see what fits you best. Elk said it best, make a day of it and get it done by a professional.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  4. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Unless you learn to work on your own bow, I would still recommend a shop to configure and tune your bow (i.e. Peeps, d-loops, serving, string twist adjustment, etc.).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Doing it yourself as a novice is not something you should consider. Nor is settling for a bow that just about fits or is close. I had an old bow gifted to me with too long of a draw length. Needless to say I couldn't group worth a toot in the backyard and thus never hunted with it.

When I realized that bow was never going to work for me and that I really wanted to bowhunt (this fall was my first year), I went to a professional archery shop and didn't let cost affect my decisions. Worth every cent to have a bow that is perfect for you!!!!

I cannot emphasize enough the need to have a pro set things up for you. The confidence you'll feel during practice will then carry over to the woods.

6. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    ^^ No.

7. Planopurist

Planopurist Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think one could approximate draw length, but that only gets one in the ballpark. You would still potentially have to have the draw length fine tuned to an exact setting, which should be based on a knowledgeable person observing you with proper form at full draw. Full draw (w/ proper form) is also when they would observe where to place the peep, if using a peep.

All this adds up to going to a pro shop. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's worth the trip to find one, and I'm not talking a big box store. I know that there is one online retailer that claims they can set it up for you with just your specs, this I'm skeptical of as everyone is slightly different and prefer different bows for different reasons.
    You may save a few bucks online, but you'll spend that at a shop getting your bow setup correctly if it doesn't fit right.
    Every shop I've been to if you buy it there they'll do setup and install any parts at no charge.
    Plus you have support incase a problem arises.
    Now to your original question as a guide line , take your wingspan and divide by 2.5 to find your approximate draw length.
    Most adult males can start of at a 50-60lbs bow.

9. KjKlump

KjKlump Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Where are you located?
    You may have a member close willing to assist .

10. BuckEyeJay

BuckEyeJay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You can do like the bow shops do and measure your wing span to get you in the ball park of your draw length messure tip of middle finger to tip of middle finger and divide by 2.5 .other than that it's what you feel most comfortable shooting like brace height axle to axle and if you want to try different draw lengths to see what fits you best. When I measure mine it says I should shoot a 29.5 or 30 but I shoot a 29 draw I usually take a half to a inch off after measuring a draw length and seems to work best with most people but this is my opinion and my advise being I work at a pro shop part time. If you can find a close enough shop and take a day out and go that's the best route but if not I can help you out just pm me.

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I bought my first bow at Cabelas if not for my local bow shop I would have been frustrated in my search for accuracy to actually shoot a deer. Granted many years ago but it is still valid.

12. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They had Cabelas back then?

13. Tmpky

Tmpky Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Unless you have the equipment to work on a bow its better to find a good bow shop even if its a day drive. Once it is set up you rarely have to go them and can find quick how to for fixes on YouTube after the initial set up.

I am slowly getting items to work on my own bow but luckily for me i have a great shop that is like 20 minutes from my house. Although i have everything to do my own arrows. Saves a few cents.