Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Choosing Arrows

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Bleedin'Buck, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Bleedin'Buck

Bleedin'Buck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ok so like i said before i am brand new to the sport well to the serious aspect of it i have shot my uncles bows and what not but this is the first time i am buying my own set up and would like any help i can recieve on all the assc. such as sights,rests,stabilizers and everything else now i know i am going to be told by atleast one person BUY A BOWTECH lol but i am going to shoot a bunch of bows at a local shop then decide from there. also maybe you could tell me which arrows are better for starting out carbon or aluminum. thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

2. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Carbon have gained in popularity over the years so most will tell you carbon. I switched to Carbon a few years ago and haven't looked back; however some great hunters in here still swear by aluminum. Regardless you need to make sure that you get the correct spine and arrow length plus have your shop tune your bow so that you are shooting accurately. Carbons will generally be more expensive but also lighter and faster in most cases versus aluminum. Carbons tend to break with excessive force when hitting objects where as aluminum bends and can be straightened back out in many cases. Both shoot great out of a Hoyt;) Good luck with finding your new rig!

3. Bleedin'Buck

Bleedin'Buck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    thank you for that info

4. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good post Jeff!!

5. Buck Magnet

Buck Magnet Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One other point on carbon/aluminum arrows is to remember that a carbon arrow can "bend" as well. The man who helped me get into the technical aspect of archery (I guess you could call him my mentor haha) showed me this as I would have never believed it. I believe it is due to the carbons integrity wearing down but I am not sure of this. Other than that Jeff and Raceway gave you some great info.

6. fireman7472

fireman7472 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been shooting for about 30 years now, and I just recentely switched to carbon about two months ago. It's a move I will never regret. As far as sights and releases go I am of no use, I don't use them, strictly instinctive shooter here. Bow wise I am partial to Browning, they have excellent customer service, make a great product, and I grew up on Browning.

7. Leebow

Leebow Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been shooting about 27 yrs, and the best thing about this sport is individualism. I'm quite sure nobody has the exact same setup, so all you can do is get all the advice you can, and make your choice. As a beginner you want to have the most adjustability possible, so you can change your setup as you change your mind about what you think works best for you. I can give you my opinion on some general items, but its just 'my' opinion, based on the KISS(Keep It Simple, Stupid)System. We obviously don't want you to get frustrated by your equipment and quit the sport--

1. Pick a bow with a wide weight adjustment range, and probably 75%+ letoff, and NOT a speed bow, maybe under 305fps.
    2. Go with a capture rest. I don't use one, but this type would cause the least problems.
    3. Go with carbon. I was against it until I had 6 new Al arrows in a 3d deer, and it tipped over and bent them. They are either straight, or broken. You will NEVER be able to restraighten Aluminum. Besides, you can get carbon at equal or less cost nowadays.
    4. Stick with a brace height of +7", and try out a lot of bows. Good Luck, and ask many questions!!