Choosing a Bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by GhostNoc, Nov 8, 2018.

1. GhostNoc

GhostNoc Newb

Dislikes Received:
    hello, I’m new!

I have a 31.6 inch draw (wingspan / 2.5).

I’m willing to spending up to 1500 on a bow but it has better be damn durable.
    I would actually prefer used though.

Bowtech customer support advised the BT Mag X.
    Is it worth getting a new one of these? I found a 2016 for 700.

Any other recommendations?

I need something dead silent for hunting, weatherproof, and extremely durable because I’ll be going up the sides of mountains with it.

2. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Go shoot a bunch of bows and see what fits. The formulas don’t always work. For instance that formula for me says 30.5. I shoot 31.5 in a Mathews Halon 32 7 which is probably closer to 32. It’s Just a place to start. As far as durability goes about any good name brand will do. Mathews, Hoyt, Elite, PSE, Bowtech. They all make good bows. They have to, the competition is too good to put out crap. Shoot everything that fits and let the pieces fall where they may. You have plenty of budget.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  3. grommel

grommel Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Shoot every bow you can, and buy what suits you best. We all have different likes, so something I like, you might not. Go and find what fits you and feels comfortable in your hands!! Good luck.

4. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Go to different bow shops and tell them you are interested in getting a new bow and would like to test a few. Some shops may Try to push one particular brand on you but don’t fall for it, if they act like it’s too much trouble or they don’t have that particular bow set up to try then go to a different shop. I would personally recommend a smaller shop to a big box type store. The top of the line bow for most major brands are about $1,000. Each brand has sort of a budget bow a mid grade bow and their flagship bow. Keep in mind this is just for the bow, you will still need an arrow rest and sight and other accessories. Good luck and don’t forget to bring the release you plan on using.