Choice of Bow Dilemma

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by justafurnaceman, Dec 23, 2015.

1. justafurnaceman

justafurnaceman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    So another Noob here trying to figure out a which bow to shoot. I traded a canoe for a Browning compound setup. With the help of a coach and a outdoor store I'm slowly getting it setup for me. It's an older bow with a whisker basket, large peep site, and a 5 pin site. I have the chance to pick up a Mathews LX bow of unknown year (slightly older one I'm guessing) with a drop down rest, 4 pin site, and a smaller peep site for $200. They are both setup for 60 lb and 29" draw.

I wouldn't mind picking up a newer/slightly better bow for what seems like a reasonable price but I really don't want to pay $200 right now and have 2 bows in the house. Is there really that much difference between the Browning and Mathews LX? I just need to start the process of setting up a bow and getting it dialed in so I can practice and get ready for next season. I'll probably use the bow that I choose for next season and if I keep with it I'll pick up a better bow afterwards.

What are your thoughts?

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    OOOOH!!!! What fun you have ahead of you.
    I just love "needing" to get a new bow.

Have even held the Mathews?
    Have you shot it?

Just because something is a little bit newer doesn't mean that it is better
    AND what is good for me probably won't be good for you.

My son swears by his Switchback and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it. For him, the grip is great.
    For me, I can't get close to comfortable with the Mathews grips.
    I would keep on working with the shop you are with and then shoot every bow they will let you shoot.
    Then see which bow is a perfect fit for you.
    (well perfect until next year's new models come out!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

3. justafurnaceman

justafurnaceman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I held it (it's a little lighter than the Browning) and shot it (it seems a little smoother than the Browning too). I'm trying hard to not let my "needing a new bow" get the best of me.

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    While a "slightly newer" bow is a temptation and a "good deal" always catches my mind, I try and wait till I am ready to make the move to a new or at least only a year or two old bow and enjoy some of the really new technology.