Chinese Chestnut

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by purebowhunting, Nov 22, 2011.

1. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been looking into planting a few Chinese Chestnuts and wondering if anyone has had any success with them. I'd be on the northern extreme of their range, looking at throwing a few inside some bedding cover areas I'm creating and along a swamp edge. They're supposed to veiled nuts in about five years, be more desirable to deer than white oaks, and veiled nuts each year with heavy crops. I'm probably going to give them a try either way just wondering if anyone has any experience and/or suggestions. Thanks.

2. habitat

habitat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Go to qdma.com,there are several chestnut experts there

3. Treehopper

Treehopper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I planted 50 - 75 Chinese chestnuts in cntrl Wisconsin a year later they were all dead. All my other trees have a 80 + % successs rate. Our winters are to harsh.

4. purebowhunting

purebowhunting Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Treehopper, I've been reading a lot about them and have found a few people in my area that have some growing and a few producing nuts but it's on the absolute northern edge of their range. I think I'm going to stick to oak species that are able to withstand zone 4 climate.

5. Smokey

Smokey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I always worry about any non native species being planted. I do not know anything about Chinese Chestnuts so cannot comment on them.