Chill-X

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Warren p, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Warren p

Warren p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Who has one? I have one on the way, I would like to hear from you guy's that have one.

2. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have had two and a Chill X Pro. They're probably the best all around bow I have ever shot and no doubt the best hunting bow I've ever had and I have owned a bunch. I'm currently playing with an HTR as a hunting rig but the jury is still out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted with one last year and it is most definitely a great hunting rig. Holds steady and smooth draw. I am sure you will love it.

4. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    Try to run the 75% modules if you can. They're more forgiving for myself and on the Chill X you can see a 10-12 FPS loss going from 75-85

5. Longstriker

Longstriker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Properly set up the HTR will win you over. Give it some time.

6. Warren p

Warren p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    O I love My HTR, I just got a good deal on the Chill-X! I like the Wake better than the HTR but not by much. I just wanted to hear some thought's on the Chill-X by people who have them.

7. Warren p

Warren p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep ordered 75% let-off mods, I have 75% let-off on the Wake and HTR too. I'm really not a fan of the ultra high let-off.

8. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    Me either. Give the draw cycle time!

9. Longstriker

Dislikes Received:
    My HTR came with 85% let-off mods. What would you say the benefits of using the 75% mods, is there a different feeling in the back wall? I shot the Wake. Wow, what a piece CNC machining. You've got me thinking about it though.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  10. Warren p

Warren p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like more holding weight, that is why I go with the 75% let off, there is less of a pronounced dump into the valley with 75% also. The back wall feel's the same to Me with either the 75% or 85% let off mods, I also feel I get a cleaner release off when shooting a hinge with 75% let off.

11. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    75% is more forgiving because of the higher holding weight. I'll try to explain a little without getting TOO long winded. With the super high let off (85%), your shot execution has to be nearly perfect every time. In short, you'll have more "fliers" because of this. The reason for this is because with 85% let off, at 70lbs, you're only holding in the 10-11lb range. There's very little tension on the string. In fact, while at full draw, if you're peep isn't tied in, someone could pop your peep out of your string with very little effort (don't try this, take my word for it). What this means is if you make a less than perfect shot on the release end, your shots will stray more. If your release hand goes outside or inside more instead of straight back on release, it will show up MORE than with higher holding weight/less letoff. This will still happen at lower letoff but it isn't as pronounced. I'm not saying you can't hit behind your pin with high let off, because you can, it's just your less than perfect shots won't stray as far. I only saw a 3-4 FPS difference testing 85% to 75% on the HTR but 10-12 FPS difference on the Chill X. Give the 75% mods a shot but shoot them for a while before you make your mind up because they WILL take some getting used to. Especially if you tend to execute a shot with sitting in the valley, barely touching the stops.

12. Longstriker

Dislikes Received:
    I'm
    Thanks Matt/TN, that explains a lot. I've noticed that I can cigarette box a group of three arrows at fifty yards, but out of the six VAP's I let fly, there's always one, maybe two, flyers. I've always wondered what that was, or at least I've been looking for an excuse for my inconsistency. I'll talk to my local pro John Schaffer about ordering some different mods.

13. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not saying you'll become a pro, you'll still have bad shots but there's a reason you see guys that shoot for a living shooting lower letoff. When you first switch on your HTR you may have trouble with the bow wanting to creep on you. That's fine and actually a good thing. It's showing you just how lazy you can get throughout your shot execution. Give it plenty of time after you put them on. They will make you a better shooter

14. Longstriker

Dislikes Received:
    Matt/TN, I appreciate you taking the time to actually explain to me how my HTR works, unlike others who either want to hate Mathews new flagship bow, or want to say it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

15. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    Anytime buddy. Bows are what I do for a living and as a hobby.

16. Warren p

Warren p Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been shooting it for a few day's now, it's a shooter!! Time to get serious about tuning it now.

17. Dunlap

Dunlap Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What's the difference between the chill r with rock mods and the chill x? Looking for a comp bow that I can get close to 330 fps. I shoot 30" 70 lb but looking to shoot 65 lb.

18. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    The Chill R is a 33" ATA, 6 1/8" Brace height bow with an IBO of 342fps

The Chill X is a 35" ATA, 7" brace height bow with an IBO of 336fps

The Chill X has a more neutral riser (straighter, less reflex) and more generous brace height. Both of the bows use the same cam system and the Rock Mods are the only way to go. I will say, the Chill R with the 75% mods is quite a bit more aggressive than the X. I think the X is one of the best all around bows of the last few years. Definitely the best one Mathews has created in some time! It's the most popular bow on the 3D range by Mathews pros and it's an excellent hunting bow to boot.

19. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    There is a small difference between the R and the X cams, which is the perimeter weight. The X has a larger weight which helps pick up a little extra speed and compensate for that longer ATA/longer brace.

As others have said, it's one of the more popular dual cam platforms that Mathews has released when it comes to a bow that can be used for both hunting or 3-D.

20. Matt/TN

Dislikes Received:
    I forgot about them increasing the perimeter weight. Everything else is identical though.