Cheap target for your kids or you for under 10 bucks...

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by solocamin1, Apr 13, 2014.

1. solocamin1

solocamin1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well i got home tonight and my kids asked me to make them a new target. all there friends and them and mom will shoot it a bunch i built the last one a little over a year ago and they ripped the side pulling it out of the garage it would of lasted longer prob. Well here it goes o i didnt shoot pics of every step its so easy its not needed.
    First i go to our local grain mill and ask them for burlap bags they are free theyll give you a bunch or walmart or any kind of farm store sells them for a couple bucks.
    Second i get any kind of stuffing i can i dont need or not using old clothes works best for this or like me i have endless amounts of old kids stuff its crazy. Stuff the bag depending on who is shooting it i usually stuff mine tight cause i might take a shot at it and mom shoots it.
    Third i cut a piece of card board for the face of the bag and slide it in the front it helps keep the face flat longer and helps with the impact.
    Forth i twist the top of the burlap bag closed as tight as i can then i get some old metal coat hangers un twist them and use them like thread to hold the top together usually about 3 or 4 will do it.
    And last thing is to get some black spray paint cut a stencile outta cardboard of what you want to shoot and paint it on.
    All this takes around 45 min if that and will last a long time for under 10 bucks and it doesnt look to bad depending on how you do it.
    Its not heavy at all and a little over 2 feet tall depending on what size bag you get and use.
    Let me know what you guys think.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  2. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nice work! I've been working on a bag target this winter and plan to use it as soon as the snow melts.

3. TAuth41

TAuth41 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

4. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    Thanx guys. Yeah i was a little iffy on posting it looking at the other DIY projects but i thought what the hell all in good fun. yeah its not the best looking bag but it works and imo it doesnt look that bad i have a couple other bag and block style targets i build ill post them as well. This is it next to a blown out block so you can see the size better.

Attached Files:

5. solocamin1

Dislikes Received:
    I just took 3 shots on it at 25 yards.

Attached Files:

6. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm working on one right now. I got a new BBQ for my birthday and am filling it with cardboard. I saw the idea on youtube a couple of weeks ago. I'll post a couple pics later.

7. GreatWhiteBowhunter

GreatWhiteBowhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Doesn't the arrow get stuck in the cloth? I made one with a cardboard box stuffed with rags and i just about ruined my arrow trying to get it out as it didn't stop the arrow until the fletching was in the middle if the box. Has this happened with this target? Im shooting 50lbs+

8. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Here is a picture of my BBQ target[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk