Chauvin Trial

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Hotrod9, Mar 10, 2021.

1. Hotrod9

Hotrod9 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As a Minnesotan I may have more interest in this trial than others but it is a nationwide and worldwide reach. I have my own thoughts and opinions but what are everyone's thoughts on how this is going to play out over the next couple of months?

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I believe that they will not find Chauvin guilty enough and the "mostly peaceful" protestors are going to wreck stuff.

airenlow, Wop 75, Hotrod9 and 2 others like this.
  3. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    More riots. More Emmett Till comparisons, no matter how ill-fitting.

4. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think they will probably convict him on manslaughter charges, as to what degree idk, but he will eventually have his sentence reduced under the new federal guidelines for sentencing the dems will push through.

My personal thoughts are he went a little far on kneeling on him for that long. Once a perp is cuffed they should just be placed in the car/paddywagon and the liability is off the arresting officer, easy enough. They give any more guff from there and break out the zip ties.

But I do also predict a whole lotta idiotic back and forth from both sides of the political spectrum and the talking heads on the boobtube. It will likely become something bigger than it already is with a national conversation "needing" to taking place lead by a bunch of ****weeds with agendas bc thats what sells ad space so the morons watching the idiotbox know what to buy/boycott. Just more of the same bs with the same idiots yelling the loudest.

TJF likes this.
  5. 87TT

87TT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    No matter what the verdict is, the protestors are going to destroy stuff.

6. destroyer340

destroyer340 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Short of a public hanging. They are not going to be happy with the outcome and more stuff will burn.

Hotrod9 likes this.
  7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Considering that what chauvin did was not against the MPLS departments policy on restraint. The guy was a walking OD.

Hotrod9 likes this.
  8. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Did he go overboard? I don't know. Was not there.
    Do I feel regret a piece of crap died...:ninja:

9. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Doesn't matter.

Times are forever changed and as we sit wherever we are expressing our opinions, others are collaborating amongst themselves purchasing fireworks for either outcome.

When it first happened I jumped on the bandwagon of knee to the kneck, negligent homicide. Probably involuntary manslaughter type conviction.

Then seen they were former coworkers and thought maybe there was a grudge amongst them.

After that, toxicology reports came in stating a high level of toxicity from a lethal drug/supplement combo.

Doesn't matter what happems from then until now, or from now until the verdict.

Choices and opinions are already made. Reactions will be based on the instigators moved into the specified sites for biggest reactions.

Nobody wins, everyone loses either way. I have no confidemce in society or humanity.

10. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    BLM/ANTIFA will loot, burn and riot no matter what happens ... rioting/looting/violence is what they do, it is the democrat way of life ..... guilty or not will only be an excuse to get a new flat screen and Air Jordan's ..

buzzard317, ash d and Hotrod9 like this.
  11. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The rioting/looting being ho hum to the MSM is what bothers me most. When I read history, I'm always sickened by the community-led murder of black men accused of a crime in the Jim Crow south.

I see riots/looting as the same sort of bestial behavior and the lack of public condemnation in the strongest sort of terms from Democratic leaders and their cheerleaders in the MSM is galling to me. I feel cynical to the message of peaceful protesters, as a result.

The situation reminds me of Dr. Goebbels inciting riots against all Jewish people after one Jewish person assassinated a German diplomat in 1938, kicking off "the night of broken glass."

Folks will see that as an unfair analogy but do a little reading on the cost of the George Floyd or Jacob Blake riots. Think about claims that systemic racism is in place and compare that to nazi claims of a world jewish conspiracy.

The analogy fits.

cantexian and axtell343 like this.
  12. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Cops need to do better. Society needs to do better. Never once have I ever heard a politician say, "my constituents need to behave better". I think it would be powerful. But we have liars and power hungry people and they just cant bring themselves to be honest.

Fix likes this.
  13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You know when there is an issue with police some say well there are a few bad apples. We do not tolerate a few bad apples when it comes to airline pilots, why do we with cops?

14. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    That's a complex issue. Who determines who is the bad apple? Is it the officer out there in the bad neighborhoods giving it his all by getting guns and drugs off the streets and and receiving a lot of complaints? Complaints on him that are baseless? Are 10 baseless complaints enough to make someone a "bad apple"?. Or should an officer who has to go hands on with a violent subject and maybe hurts that subject deemed a "bad apple" if they dont use Steven Segal like fighting skills and use absolute precision when applying force?

In good police forces, the amount of daily accountability is tremendous. The accountability stress the avg police officer faces in an avg criminal environment is great. Everyone from every side is watching and rightfully commenting. Your boss. Your bosses boss. Body worn cameras. Reports scrutinized. Attorneys. Prosecutors. Citizens. People who dont even live in your work area watch YouTube videos and call in and complain. Shop technicians inspecting your patrol car and then writing your boss. Forensic lab technicians. Property issues. And on and on and on. Until you've lived it, it's hard to understand.

But back to your point. Cops are public employees just like everyone else and as such are afforded the same internal due process rights as everyone else.

Fix, TJF, cantexian and 2 others like this.
  15. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You left out one point that most don't think about when going to their jobs. Cops / law enforcement probably have the greatest chance out of all jobs of not surviving their shift after a brutally bad day. I have had a lot of bad days in the 33 years I have worked at my job. Never once have I ever wondered if I would not survive it to see my wife and kids again at the end of the day. I can't imagine the pressure your job creates for you. I can't imagine receiving the disrespect cops get for doing their job. The sad thing is I don't think many give it much thought. Not implying anyone here but just in general from what I have seen in my life time.

airenlow, Mod-it, cantexian and 2 others like this.
  16. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Minneapolis City Council approves record $27 million settlement in the death of George Floyd.

17. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Doesnt that kind of pollute the criminal trial? Admitting guilt in one way or another paints the defendants as guilty.

Sota likes this.
  18. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The Minneapolis City Council is a joke, an embarrassing joke. I am glad I do not pay taxes in Hennepin county.

TJF likes this.
  19. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I think Floyd and Chauvin are both assholes for making all these Yankees and city slickers want to want to move down here to my little town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Okiebob likes this.
  20. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So they are tearing out Floyd square now, about time. I was listening to the radio and the host was reading the police report of activity from Floyd square just in March. All the shots fired etc it is a war zone. Bunch of thugs living like they got no momma.

Hotrod9 likes this.