Changing over to crossbow

Discussion in 'Crossbows' started by pastorjim08, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Cottontop

Cottontop Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Muzzy, Scorpyd was the originator of the reverse draw crossbow( Jim Kempf) They build a great product and stand by it. There are other companies that have run with this concept as well. Ten Point makes some really nice compact bows in this design as well. Do your homework and try to get the skinny on everything in your area. Try to shoot as many as you can get your hands on, like any type of archery tackle one mans trash is another mans treasure. As much as I like scorpyd I also like Excalibur (recurve) for their simplicity and accuracy. If you find yourself on the fence about a type or model check out used bows on some of the crossbow sites. I have got some great deals from members. Hope this helps.

Muzzy Man likes this.
  2. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, I do like the concept of the recurve type. I am just now starting to investigate the idea a bit. A good used deal does sound nice.

3. Cottontop

Dislikes Received:
    One of the nice things about recurves is you can let them down with out having to shoot into the ground or use a discharge bag. The other nice feature is excaliburs are darn near bullet proof. If you check out crossbownation.com or crossbowtalk.com you usually can find some really good deals on used stuff. excaliburcrossbow.com has a forum section that has a classified section as well. good luck

Muzzy Man likes this.
  4. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    if I was on deaths door step, I will NEVER use a grossbow ... I am a BOWhunter first and foremost ... I despise crossbows .. they are not BOWhunting ... if it comes down to that crap, I'll go back to firearms, there is no hiding what they are ... did I say I DESPISE crossbows ?? .... they darn things should be in the seasons with shoulder held tools, not in the VERTICAL BOW seasons ...

5. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So why do you come to the crossbow section???
    OP did NOT ask if anyone hated crossbows. He was asking for experience with certain crossbows. Since you despise crossbows you must have nothing construction to add to this thread.
    PLEASE go spread your hate some where else.

0317 dislikes this.
  6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ah it has been while since this horse was beaten.

7. Cottontop

Dislikes Received:
    Its unfortunate but, there is one in every crowd...…..

8. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the asked for information on the recurve crossbow.

Not sure about the ranting guy... but at least in Alabama, crossbows are a legal option for those not quite on deaths door but with physical limitations. I suppose we could outlaw them along with wheelchair ramps. Heck while we're at it, hearing aids and eyeglasses should be outlawed for fear zombies may get to enjoy the outdoors.

9. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Okay follow on question. How big of a concern is the speed? I almost never shoot past 25 yards, though I have occasionally stretched to 35-ish with my Hoyt. 75% of my shots are 15 or less.

I see xbows ranging from 300 fps to well over 400. What would I be missing out on or gaining with a lower fps model? Other than the obvious KE and trajectory differences.

10. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    As Xbows are stupid loud best get the arrow/bolt/shaft there as fast possible

Muzzy Man likes this.
  11. Cottontop

Dislikes Received:
    Don't get hung up on speed, I still hunt with both stick bows and compounds. My longbows shoot at a blistering 180 fps, my compounds at 280. So, if you are at the slow end of the crossbow spectrum 300+ that is a moot point. My slowest crossbow is a excalibur matrix 330 that pushes a 440 grain shaft at 308 fps(92.7 ft lbs of kenetic energy) that shoots clean through everything. My fastest is a scorpyd ventilator that shoots the same weight arrow at just under 400 fps. I will say this, the excaliburs will shoot just about anything you put on the rail. The faster bows tend to be pretty picky about what they will group(spine matched or not). Like any bow the more you practice the more familiar you become and as a result you will find that trajectory is not a big deal at ethical bow ranges.

axtell343 and Muzzy Man like this.
  12. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Noise, I hear, is an issue, but from what many are saying, has been well addressed in the past couple years. Is that accurate?

Okay, about price range. I know there is an MSRP on most products which usually means almost nothing. What about in the crossbow world?

I do have an Excalibur dealer nearby. Never thought I would be asking these questions but thanks bunches for your patience.

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to play football. Oh well, I had a good run before those injuries began outrunning me...

13. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Really, at about 350fps by the time they hear it, it's too late! The crossbow will never be as quiet as a compound. But it's going so fast, it really doesn't matter. As far as price, I probably would never buy new. I have bought both of the crossbows I own, and the last few compounds I had, off of the AT classifieds. Tenpoint makes some really nice units and they have them all across the price spectrum. Ravin, Mission, and Scorpyd are all great bows but they are at the top of the price list. I would advise you to shoot some of them and get a feel for what you like.

Blessings..........Pastorjim

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Muzzy Man likes this.
  14. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    I know it isn't the case in all states but Alabama allows bow-hunting through the entire deer season. Deer season opens in October and closes in February. The first month +- is archery only. I live and hunt on my property, technically within the city limits. I seldom use a firearm but could legally hunt with either weapon. So to your point, the crossbow and gun season do coincide with either being allowed at the same time.

Just thought I'd fill you in. Thanks for the post.

15. Muzzy Man

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks,
    I guess that would be one quick duck. ;)

Added benefit would be the ability to hunt when its cold again.

I'll check AT's Forum.

16. Cottontop

Dislikes Received:
    The thump of the bow is the last thing they ever hear. I use to think the noise is a big factor but, almost every time when the bow goes off they don't even flinch. If you have an interest in excalibur check out wyverncreations.com call and talk to Dave the owner. He is a wealth of information and will answer all your questions.