Change in habitat.

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by Sota, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Been here 25 + years I have 3 small ponds on my property, my neighbor had a pond as well. Between the ponds there was canary grass and willow clumps and hazel nut brush. Most years you could walk around the ponds and not get your feet wet. Granted last year was the wettest on record but I have never seen water levels this high. I talked to the neighbor who's mom owned the property I bought from, she has lived on the land her whole life and has never seen the water this high.

Their ponds and all 3 of mine are now connected it is now about 4+ acres of standing water. I was out walking around and I noticed the pond at the end of my driveway has a spring hole in the slush about 4' in diameter, I have never seen a spring hole in that pond, on a dry year it was the first one to dry up.

Told my wife boom now we live on a lake.

oldnotdead likes this.
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting talked on the phone with an old boss of mine. I worked for him while I was in college he was the owner of a well drilling company. He is also has a phd in hydrology. What I have is a situation where we had record amount of precipitation last year so the shallow aquifers are full up, the runoff is filling the ponds and putting hydraulic pressure on the shallow aquifer causing the spring to flow and the more water that flows the more pressure exerted causing the spring to flow more. Will be interesting to see how long this continues. I do know that it has cut off the neighbors deer feeder.