Chalking a cam opinions.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by bones435, Jan 6, 2014.

1. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So my archery shop owner operator is old. Bank of knowledge, great guy, past his prime. Don't trust him anymore to work on my bow. Doesn't have the patients any more he's going blind in the one eye that still works and isn't thorough. Soo... I'm taking over as my personal bow mechanic. Which I have been for awhile now. I don't have a bowpress and its time to change my string and cable. New genuine strong and cable on order to a not so local shop and being shipped to me. My z7 is capable of chalking the cam with a stop in both directions to change the string and cable. Does anyone have experience with this method and if so what have been your experiences good and bad. I have tried it removed both string and cable and put back on and seemed to work fine. No damage to limbs or cam. Lets hear your horror stories and convince me to get a press. Or not

2. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    :bump: anybody?

3. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    And there she goes

4. striker

striker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would get a press it will save you a lot of hassle. If you don't want to spend a lot of money you can get a portable press made by bow master with Limb adapters it works pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Don't be surprised of you break the limbs or lose a finger. I've pressed likely close to a thousand bows, and by doing this your pressing in a spot that most manufacurers would recommend you not compress the limb from. If anything happens to that chock while it's compressed and your in the cam working it's going to be a messy ride to the emergency room too.

6. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say find a press too. I sure loved the old cables with double tear drops though. All you needed was a buddy to swap strings... $6.00 and maybe 30 seconds... done.

7. caddis74354

caddis74354 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm alwas fond of the bow where no press is needed, but I have had a lot of luck with the portable press. I just served in a new peep for my wifes bow. I find that alot of the pro shop owners "stick together" and always say you need to take it to a professional but you can really just google the majority of what they know lol.

8. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Where did you think most of them got their info? LOL

9. bones435

bones435 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I'll probably get one of those portable presses. I could probably make a pretty legit press. It's just that the price for a press is ridiculous basically the thing is an odd shaped clamp. To be honest when I leaned the z7 can could be chalked easily I did try it. I shove an 8 mm Allen inside and took off both the cable and string. I added a few twists to one cable side to align my idler wheel better ( I begged to pro shop old man to fix this and he never could) super simple and threw a few twists in the string to bring the cam into timing by putting the cable in the middle of the timing window on the cam. It was very simple and didn't seem to cause any damage. However I can see how this was dangerous and something could go wrong.
    Probably what will happen here shortly is that I'll draw up blue print plans of a homemade bow press that is easily disassembled and post them here. Shoot maybe that dude spotandstalk can weld up some pre-fab some assembly required pieces.