chain vs strap stands?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Kansasbuck, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Kansasbuck

Kansasbuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt public land just about 100% of the time. I have always used chain on stands, mostly because I can slap a pad lock on them, and leave them for the weekend and have a reasonable chance of having them stay there. In the last 15 years I have been hunting my current public wildlife area, I have only lost 2 stands to theft. I recently picked up a strap on stand cheap, and I really like the way it snugs down and holds solid without the "play" a chain will always have.

My concern is, that a strap on stand will be able to be stolen by someone that simply is carrying a knife, where as the chain requires a little more effort to get off the tree. Do you guys that use straps run into this problem? Is simply adding a chain enough to keep the stand on the tree?

2. Dima

Dima Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  3. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Get a tree stand cable lock. They are about $7-10. I found some last fall that are keyed alike (either 4 or 10).

4. nhbowhunt

nhbowhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i use cable locks on my stands

5. BH Bowhunter

BH Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I chain all my stands!

6. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Check out www.millenniumstands.com They have Cam-Lock Receivers that you can place on different trees and leave there. They offer it in a chain version or a rachet strap. You wrap the Cam-Lock Receiver around the tree and take your stand with you when the hunt is over. I love these stands. I have the M100 and I am buying 2 of the M50s this year. It allows you to hunt multiple sites(the wind) and only need one stand. Be warned they are the Most Comfortable Treestands you will EVER hunt in! I Guarantee it!!

7. Ky Bob

Ky Bob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I use chain on stands so I can put a lock on them but if you want to lock a strap on treestand use a Python cable or something similar to lock it.

8. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You could set the stand normally with straps if u like how they snug up a lot better the like other said get a cable lock to secure it so even if straps get cut its still locked on.

9. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I too hunt public and just use a cable lock. I picked up 3 at a garage sale for 5 bucks and always use the cheapest stands I can find for my public hunting. I had one in a tree for about 6 months last year and nobody got it. Although it was deep and I'm not sure anyone found it anyway.