Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Central, IL and new to sheds

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by rsf31tmp, Dec 13, 2011.

1. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am very excited about hunting sheds in the coming months. I will need to search about 50 acers that I hunt. I have 3 or 4 different areas that I hunt. Most is farm land along rivers and creeks, with a mix of woods and tree lines. In central, il when is the best time to start looking? What areas should I search first? Would a dog who has not been trained for it be any help? Lab?

2. MN_Whitetail

MN_Whitetail Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dogs that are not trained for it more than likely won't help much. It never helps to have a friend along though. Best times to look are probably in March, but antlers can drop as early as right now. Check your food sources and any trails leading from food to bedding areas. Fence crossings can be good too. Tree lines along fields can be great spots to find sheds as well.

3. rsf31tmp

rsf31tmp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the tips! I will be using them. I could spend days walking the ground where I hunt!

4. kennyg

kennyg Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2 pointer dogs. I take all the antlers I find and use them for throw and chew toys for the dogs all summer. They when deer season is over, I take them with and hope they will know a shed when they come accross it. If anything, we both get exercise.

5. adivo89

adivo89 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I went out yesterday for a hike. Did not come up with anything. I did see 3 bucks and the antlers were all intact. I am in Northern Il. With the warm weather stress levels are low on these deer. and food is plentiful. They may hold onto their antlers for a while yet i suspect.

6. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    RSF I live in Livingston County and I find most of mine around March and February. I find most of mine in bedding areas and staging areas. I also check any crossings over fences, creeks, rivers, and stuff like that. I have hung the bow up for the year and have started to shed hunt. I have been watching a buck for the past two years and he has dropped one side already. I found a shed last year in December and I found a match set of sheds off my buck I killed last year on Jan. 3rd 2009. Here is the set the way I found them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. MTbowman

MTbowman Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Went looking today, here in PA, but didn't find any. I have found them in December here.

8. BH Bowhunter

BH Bowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shed hunt now until about mid-april. I have a huge area to cover. I have several bedding areas that I will check and re-check throughout the next few months.