Center serving

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Jaberry, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Jaberry

Jaberry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I want to reserve my center serving on my mathews v3, It's a gas string. My question is what diameter center serving should I use? Was looking at power grip or 62xs? Thank you

Sent from my SM-G998U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just started learning about doing my own center serving repair too. I will assume this is your first time, please pardon the length this turned into, I wanted to cover things I thought would be helpful. And realize that this is stuff I've learned from just recently researching it and I do not have a lot of experience in actually doing it lol.

If you were happy with your nock fit with the original serving, then you need to figure out what size it was. You will need to measure the string with calipers or a c-mic, do not squeeze really hard so that you're compressing it. Measure the string where there is no serving and then measure a good portion of the center serving (not the worn nock point or within 1" of the ends) and then do the math. Most string makers shoot for a finished diameter around .111 to .114, depending on what nock you use.

I use Goldtip acculite nocks, they are a bit bigger. My string and center serving diameter on my Solution (Catfish string) is .116", fits my nocks great. Mike at Catfish had asked what nocks I use when I ordered.
    My new/used Revolt-x came with a Threadz string on it, it has a .112" finished diameter at the center serving. My GT nocks fall off of it, but a Bohning nock fits perfectly.

Example of figuring out your current center serving diameter:
    Your Gas string where there is no serving measures .095".
    It measures .113 at a good portion of the current center serving.
    .113" - .095" = .018" center serving diameter.

BCY Powergrip is a great choice. 62xs is also used by a lot of people. I read that Powergrip holds up a bit better.

Center serving should be wrapped the same direction as the main string twist, and as tight as it can be WITHOUT imparting twist into the main string. Peep should be right where it was before you started reserving.

For nock fit, serve a small portion and then check fit before doing the entire length needed. If nock fit is a bit loose, there is a way to increase the diameter. You can cut a strand(s) of the serving you're using and lay it along the main string and then serve over it to increase diameter. You can do more strands as needed, whatever gives you perfect nock fit. It is a trial and error thing, serve a small portion, check, undo and add another strand, etc., etc.

Dudley (Nock-On) has a pretty good Youtube video on center serving.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  3. Jaberry

Jaberry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  4. Seals47

Seals47 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Center serving should be done under100-150+ pounds of tension.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums