Cellular trail cameras

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Benny_Bucks, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Benny_Bucks

Benny_Bucks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just got permission to hunt a new piece of land that I won’t be able to access to check cams like the ones close to home. Who uses cell cams and which ones are the best? Also, what do the monthly plans usually run for a cell cam?

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have and use a Spartan wireless cam (Verizon)

pros:
    the signal quality literally can't be beat. In both areas I hunt only VZ works even somewhat reliably
    decent trigger speed
    good daytime pics
    good range

cons:
    expensive month-month plans
    battery life is meh
    kind of a PITA to set up
    sensitive to direct sunlight/heat (at least when in the lockbox)
    night pics are almost non-existent (at least on a trail- on a plot might be better)

3. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Spypoint Link S and a Stealthcam GXW Wireless. I would choose the Spypoint over the Stealtcam and here's why.

Initial cost comparison:
    Spypoint Link S $450.00
    Stealthcam GXW $250.00

Now at first glance it would seem that's quite a difference but keep in mind the Spypoint has a built in solar panel and I have ran up to a year on a set of batteries. So in the long run, I think the Spypoint higher cost is worth it.

Battery life:
    As mentioned, the Spypoint has a huge advantage in this area.
    Stealthcam batteries last about 2.5 months

Picture quality:
    The Stealthcam has slightly better daytime pics and hugely better nighttime pics.

Cellular plans
    Spypoint has alot of flexibility in their plans, even offering a 100 pics/month plan that is free.
    While I think the Stealthcam $25.00 for 3 months plan is a good value, and the one I use, I think the advantage goes to Spypoint because they have so many different plans.

Customer service:
    I have had a reason to contact both companies with some issues I was having and Stealthcam was the winner, hands down. They were much more responsive to me than Spypoint was. Both companies were able to resolve my issue but speaking to a person at Spypoint was a very frustrating experience due to being on hold for nearly an hour.

Camera apps:
    Both cameras have an app that you use to view pics and remotely make adjustments to the camera.
    IMO the Spypoint app is superior because you can have the app on multiple devices, whereas the Stealthcam app can only be used on one device at a time. As far as using it on your laptop, you can view the Stealthcam pics through Google drive. Spypoint has an actual website where you can view pics and it is far superior.

Reliability:
    While there were times I wasn't receiving pics, I think this was more of a cell issue than a camera issue. Both of my cameras operate off the AT&T network and it seemed they would quite sending pics at the same time. So that's why I think it was a network issue. But that being said I do believe the Stealthcam missed far more pics than the Spypoint.

The bottom line:
    I will probably buy another cell camera soon and I will probably go with a different model Spypoint; the Spypoint Link Evo. While it doesn't have the built-in solar panel, I can add an external solar panel and battery for less than $100. The cost of the Link Evo is about $225 so that would be less expensive than the Link S.

Well there you have it. Good luck with your choice. Cell cams are alot of fun and add a whole 'nother dimension to trailcams.

Blessings.........Pastorjim

Benny_Bucks likes this.
  4. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had Covert and sold them for Spartans. I now have 5 Spartans. I did make external battery packs for them. It cost about 30 bucks each on the battery packs. Now they last for 3 to 4 months. All 5 cost 8 dollars each total to run with the premium service plans per month. They work great with no issues. 2 of them are over three years old and all my cams are out 24/7 365.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the original Covert cam its worked reliably but loves batteries. I have to connect it to a 12v on a solar panel to keep it running longer than 2 weeks, even with lithiums. Trigger speeds are a little slow but also remember this is the first iteration, the new ones might be better.

The newest StealthCam is great in regard to picture quality and battery life. I get about 3 months on a set of lithiums. Only compliant with the StealthCam is occasionally the APP is flakey and it doesn't download pictures. It also seems too stop downloading pictures if you have a 100 in the queue. But I will say that it is getting better over time, much better than when we first started and the new one has improved a lot compared to the first one.

Lastly I have the Snyper cams. Of them all probably the most value comparative to cost. Picture quality is decent and they have a built in cell booster. Battery life is about 6 weeks on a set of lithiums but also consider the area its in has weak signal as well.

For each cam I pay 25 for 3 months for 2 GB of data so roughly 8.50 a month. One camera is on my plan but actually costs a little more because its unlimited.

For each one of these I would certain make a external solar 12v battery. The one made by HME is really good and has been connected to one of my StealthCams for almost 10 months now and no battery change has been required. There are also lots of videos out on how to make them. Just be advised that not all cameras have the same port size for external batteries, so you might need to convert it.

Benny_Bucks likes this.
  6. Benny_Bucks

Dislikes Received:
  7. sad_story

sad_story Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I bought into the converts and like have been thoroughly disappointed.

Starting with battery life through customer support its been a frustrating process. (re: battery - I'm on private property and even have then connected to a 12v car battery - with disappointing results)

Then more than once after ooerating so so in the off season, without fail, 1-2 die prior to season and i have to haul 4hrs to pick thrm up and get them sent away and then bacl up, usually missing 1/2 the season....

Looking to move on, but invested a lot of money a few years back and not sure how to proceed other than use them as REALLY expensive standalone tail cams...

8. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've used Spartan, Spypoint, and both the new and old Stealth cell cams. I believe the Stealth's are far and above a better option than the others.

Here are my thoughts.......

• The Stealth cams can use the HME solar battery box. These can be added to the Stealth cam for about $50 each. The cams themselves can be found online for about $200. So total you've got $250ish into each Stealth setup. The comparable Spypoint is $399 with solar, and the comparable Spartan is $449 with no solar. This means you'll get nearly twice as many Stealth's for your money as compared to the Spartan, or you could have three Stealths for the cost of two Spypoints. Big difference in cost.
    • The trigger speed and picture quality on the Stealth is vastly superior to the other options. Stealth will also run on burst mode and send all the pics taken in the burst if you wish. Spartan only sends the last pic which causes a lot of blanks and deer asses. I could never set the Spypoint on burst mode because the plans for unlimited was $15 a month and I'm not spending that much. If you use the lower cost plan it limits you to 250 pics per month and you'll chew those up fast on burst mode. Then the cam shuts off for the rest of the month if that happens.
    • The Spartans were VERY quirky when sending setting updates, requesting HD pics, etc. Sometimes the cams would lock up for days when doing these things. The Spypoints weren't quirky at all, they just worked, but the picture quality was horrible and the plans were very expensive for the volume of pics you're getting. The Stealthcams just work. I've got 10 of them right now and they have all been flawless. When you change settings, it happens fast. I've not seen a single thing I wish the Stealths did differently or better.
    • The Stealth AT&T plan options are really good. $25 for 3 months and 2gb of data. My busiest camera is coming up on the 3 month window right now and has used about half the data. That cam is on 3 shot burst mode and sending hi res pics. I could have probably gotten away with the much cheaper annual plan instead and saved money, but I figured it's essentially more data than you can possibly use for just $8 a month.
    • You can add the Spartans to a Verizon plan for $5 a month if you have an existing Verizon phone, but then it's another $3 a month to get the premium software version that is comparable to what you get with Stealth. So monthly cost is break even with these.
    • The only downside I see with the Stealth cams is you need AT&T service. With that said, I have several cameras running really well on only a single bar of AT&T service right now, so you don't need great coverage.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    mnhunter01 and copperhead like this.
  9. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have two Snyper Generals. Overall they have been reliable. Picture quality is pretty good. I think I pay $100 a year for each camera's service. The App is really nice and you can make changes to the camera settings via the app, which is really nice. The app also gives you a few basic charts that tell you what time of day you are getting the most pics and how many pics a day you are getting which is pretty cool. I've been running both cameras all year on 12 lithium batteries and still have plenty of juice left in both cams. Pleasantly surprised with the battery life.
    I have the camera set to take 3 pic bursts, but it only sends one pic to my phone. Sometimes I get pics of nothing, but when I pull the card, the next pic has the animal on it, so I think it triggers too fast at times so the first pic doesn't have anything in frame. Other than that I've been happy with them.

10. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    You mention that you have had both Stealth models. Do you think the later model is superior to the first one. My only experience is with the first generation. I have had a bit of trouble with my Stealthcam so I brought it home, it's a three hour drive, to do the update. I have not taken it back to the woods yet. I'm hoping the update will improve it. I also purchased a new antenna for it since the other one was getting pretty chewed up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

11. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    I have 2x of the old ones. I had issues with one when it was setup in an area with a single bar of service. I've since moved it to a spot where it gets much better reception and it's been flawless.

The biggest difference is that the new ones take better quality pics that save to the local memory card, and they will be a lot more reliable when in low service areas. I'm pretty sure that's just the nature of them being 4G vs. 3G on the old one. They are cheaper as well which is always good.

copperhead likes this.
  12. copperhead

Dislikes Received:
    Jim I would like to add to this. Yes the newer models are far better than the first generation. I have a first generation and the newer one setup on the same farm. The first generation gets one bar while the newest one gets 3 bars. Picture quality in daylight are good on both. Night time photos the new one is clearly a better performer, hands down.

13. Benny_Bucks

Dislikes Received:
    So if my cell phone plan is through Verizon currently...could I still get stealth cams and just go through AT&T for those then?

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

copperhead and justinwmoe88 like this.
  14. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, its no different than a person with a cell phone from at&t were calling you.

Sent from my RCT6703W13 using Tapatalk

copperhead likes this.
  15. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Yes. You would download the Stealth app to your phone, then go to the AT&T website to setup the new camera. Cost would be $25 for 3 months per camera for the highest end plan they have which is way more data than you'd likely need unless your setup on bait and getting hundreds of pics a day.

Benny_Bucks and copperhead like this.
  16. copperhead

Dislikes Received:
    Benny,
    Ultimately its a prepaid plan. You go to the website setup an account and activate the SIM for the StealthCam. Its quite painless if you follow the instructions. The link below is the rate plans that are available.

https://buyasession.att.com/sbd/Com...bs8toH24reE1dcKkUY4Og2NZXfkI12Ar1f!-610833985

I would suggest if you go the StealthCam route when you set the account up there make something short. The interface to login from the camera is a little cumbersome, but once its setup you are good to go.

The app doesn't care what provider you have as long as you have a data connection.

Benny_Bucks likes this.
  17. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I just can’t bring myself to pay the 499.99$ for a solar VZ spypoint camera, but I like it.

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting.com Forums

Benny_Bucks likes this.
  18. bowhtr1

bowhtr1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    With Spartan Verizon plan it only cost 5 bucks extra to add to your existing plan. My sent pictures are great. My 3g cams are set to two pictures per trigger and it sends the second one. Was getting too many head and nose shots with one picture per trigger. My 4g are set for pic/video. It sends a picture and if I want to see more of that I request a video and get a 10 second video. [​IMG]

Benny_Bucks likes this.