Cell Cams slow down in Cold weather

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by alfarah50, Oct 18, 2018.

1. alfarah50

alfarah50 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m current running 6 Covert Code Black cell cams. I’ve always been curious to see how well the trigger speed/detection is on these so for the last 2 months I’ve ran Moultrie Cams on the same setup as the cell cams. The cell cams miss ALOT of pics. I’ve been getting 3 sometimes as many as 4 times the pictures as the cell cams. Pretty upsetting since they cost literally 4 times the cost of the moultrie. Ever since the weather dipped under 50 degrees, the cell cams hardly take any pics. Anyone else notice this??

2. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know that there is a temp setting but if memory serves me correct it's for below 20°?

3. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a shame, considering your investment. You must be frustrated!

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    IMO it's not the fact that it's a cellular trail camera - it's just the camera itself. They aren't all created equal.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd agree with Justin. Every camera has different detection circuits and recovery times. It's more the camera's build. I make sure to run Lithium batteries in my cell cams also so that they will always get 100% of the draw they need. Alkalines will not do that, as they are used, they experience voltage drops until they are dead. Lithium's are all or nothing, basically.

I've ran a lot of Coverts, but never a cellular one. I felt like they were ahead of the curve when they were newer, but I'm not sure they have kept up with the rest of the industry.

6. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a couple Covert Blackhawk LTE cams and these send photos so fast it is crazy.

The cold weather hasn't slowed them down at all.

I also have a couple Spartan Gocams they are slow whether it is 30 or 80 degrees.