Catch 22

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by atlasman, Jan 22, 2016.

1. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There is a spot on our land that we have seen 3 very nice bucks in the last 6 years. We have a stand near there that we have seen these bucks from and in fact it's our best producing stand that we have killed 5 other bucks from.........BUT, had we been there instead we would have had a chance to kill 3 brutes.

We finally caved in and marked a tree after the season for a new stand in the spring/summer.

2 questions

Would you sit in a single stand EVERY time you hunted if you thought/felt like sooner or later a big buck will walk by.......even if only once every year or two.

Do you think that if you went with the above strategy that the cumulative added pressure/scent/noise/etc from that spot being hunted over and over and over and over again would now keep you from seeing those same caliber bucks even if the encounters are so few and far between.

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I never hunt the same tree more than three times a year. I'll stay out until I know things are right. In my opinion when it comes to the best spots.......less is more.

3. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Less is more only hunt when probabilities are highest, not by upping the odds by coving as covering as many days as possible.

4. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I repeatedly hunt certain stands as long as I can do it without disrupting the "normal" patterns.
    If I have meat in the freezer, I go for the long shot. If not, I fill my freezer.