Cataloguing trail camera pics

Discussion in 'Trail Cameras' started by pastorbigdan, Jul 12, 2016.

1. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I find changing the file names to the dates taken a waste of time because i can sort the pictures by the date that it was taken which as long the date is set on your trail camera correctly it works great.

Here is an example of the folder for each camera location for this year so far

TC.jpg

and another one showing the date they were taken is saved on the camera

TC1.jpg

2. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    How I do mine:

Folder 1 - Year
    Inside that - Farms
    Inside each farm - Bucks or everything else folder
    Inside each folder - Month taken
    Inside each month - specific bucks in order by date

3. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just recently started really analyzing my pictures more but for each location I have a trail camera, I mark down which direction the deer came from and the general time it came through (AM, mid-day, PM, or night). After I tally up how many deer visits and see what the trend is, then I have a general census of what kind of deer are frequenting that spot and what the best time to hunt it is. This thread prompted me to post it on my Nine Acre Archery hunting journal on Facebook. Here's a small sample of what we do:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  4. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I do similar what everyone else does. I have a folder for the year ("2016 Trail Cam Pictures") then inside that folder I have the name of the Camera, (Reconyx, Black Flash, Browning, etc.) Then inside each Camera I name the folder by the date range that the camera was out/last checked. For example If i put the camera out May 1st and then checked it on July 15th. I would name the folder 05012016_07152016

Then I can go back and find pictures easily from a certain date range.

5. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Also, to categorize the pictures themselves, I have a folder for each year, and then within that a folder for each camera location, and within those a folder for each month with the respective month's camera pics. Then I put the Excel spreadsheet I posted above for each month in with the corresponding pics and rename it so it's at the beginning for easy access.

6. DVO

DVO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't seen a free app yet that does what I can do with excel for free. Plus when I put the time in I understand the data far better.