Carter evolution release

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Blake Southerland, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Blake Southerland

Blake Southerland Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot a carter evolution and have for about a year now. Something I’ve noticed is that often when I get it out of the case and shoot for the first time that day it will go off as soon as I let off the safety and I have to tighten it. However after a bunch of shots it doesn’t do that and I can loosen it up to where I had it before because then it’s to hard to pull through. I have heard people say oh your form must’ve changed and stuff but I know that’s not what it is because I’ve had people watch me. Does anyone else have this same issue? Or could it be from the bow not being shot yet that day and the limbs are just stiffer? Any recommendations

2. Roamer

Roamer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My daughter has shot this release for years for competition one thing you need to do is every so often lube it with a drop of light oil (like sewing machine oil) in the sear mechanism or they will get harder and harder to get to release or go off. As for it firing like you mention and then getting harder to get it to go off, I would say it is a finite part of your form that generally would be very difficult for the average person watching to pick up on. These types of releases are designed to go off with increased back tension therefore they can be somewhat finicky about how much you are into your back when you take that thumb off the Safety. I am guessing that on your first shot you are a little bit harder into your back as you are fresh both physically and mentally therefore you are pulling/rotating into they breaking point pressure that your release is set for before you take the thumb off the safety. After a wile you tire both mentally and physically and may even become more consistent in your anchor pressure therefore you are turning the tension down again on the release. Next time you shoot pay particular attention to your anchor as well as how hard you are pushing the bow hand towards the target and pulling or rotating the draw arm/shoulder around your back to ensure consistency in these pressures from the first shot to the last. Hope this helps.

Douglas Krebs
    Level 2 USA Archery Coach

3. Blake Southerland

Blake Southerland Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks this helps a lot I have not oiled it since I got it so that could affect consistency. Also that does make sense that I am fresher at the start of the shooting each day.

4. buck16on

buck16on Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My recommendation is throw it away and get a release that works 100% of the time. Shot opportunities and life is way to short to waist on equipment that may or may not work right. You owe it to people near you when you shoot and to the animals your hunting to never use equipment that may not work right.

5. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a silverback. Mine is all form related. My first few shots go off easier bc I’m fresh. Checking up on the back wall to know you’re starting with the same tension every time helps. If your rear elbow is low, that loads everything up in the bicep and you end up pulling with your arm not your back.

That’s why this style of release is an excellent training tool, it shows you when you’re breaking down. It’s up to you to figure out why. That being said, if it’s a mechanical problem, you can send it back to carter with a note inside of what it’s doing wrong. When I first got my silverback, it wouldn’t hardly go off. Then it was completely opposite. I had the tension adjustment all the way in and it would go off as soon as I let off the safety.

I sent it back, they put a new sere in for free, and it’s been fine since.