Carrying while bowhunting

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by gummy034, Mar 7, 2012.

1. gummy034

gummy034 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    This was my first season bow-hunting after rifle-hunting for a longtime. I hunt almost an hour away from home and it can be a hike to get to whatever spot I am hunting. I was a little uneasy about walking through the woods in the dark with just a bow (call me a sissy). I have a concealed carry permit, but I am just wondering the rules about carrying my handgun while hunting in PA. I am not some jacka** who wants to use it illegally, but what it is intended for. Do any of you guys do that? If so, how do you do it so it doesn't interfere with your safety equipment?

2. Where's Bruce?

Where's Bruce? Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Orange County-People's Republik of Mexifornistan
    Most states allow CCW to extend to the hunter in the field but i question if it MUST be concealed. I'm happier with a cross draw I can see.

3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    With only being 20 years old i can't carry myself, but I'm pretty sure that as long as you have your concealed carry permit it is legal for PA.

4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know what the laws are in in PA but in Indiana they just changed it a few years ago to allow holders of concealed carry to pack while bowhunting. I carry mine if I'm hunting alone because there are so many yotes in my area.

Blessings......Pastorjim

5. Stubert

Stubert Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am in New York, I have had a full carry permit since 1984. We are not allowed to carry during bow season. We are not even permited to be with someone who has any kind of firearm in bow season. Go figuire. We can't legaly even bring a .22 out with bow.

6. johnstonab

johnstonab Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In VA you can carry if you have a CCW permit, the weapon cannot be used for anything hunting, ie. dispatching the animal. For me, my harnes fits perfectly around the weapon then i put my coat on over the harness. Putting the coat over the harness conceals the weapon and makes it so I can safely take off my coat when it warms up.

Title 34 § 2525 Valid 2/1/07. Persons hunting, including Archery Hunting, can carry a defensive handgun if licensed to do so by the state of PA or have a permit that PA Honors.
    copied from: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

7. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In PA if you have your LTCF (commonly known as CCW) you can carry while bowhunting.

Regarding comfort while wearing a safety harness, your are going to have to use some trial & error. It can dig in if I don;t have everything situated correctly.

8. Schultzy

Schultzy Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I "think" you can carry here In Minnesota now but don't quote me on that for sure. As for myself, I don't carry anywhere where I hunt.

9. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    ^^ this.

However, im not sure but some state parks may not allow you to carry. Calling your local DNR office will be able to answer your questions.

10. The Amatuer

The Amatuer Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    In Virginia and we can carry concealed while bow hunting as long as we have a CCW permit. I usually carry my .357 or my .40 Springfield XD Sub-Compact in the belt holster provided with the case under jacket. My GP100 in old holster by Galco in the same manner.

Since I've been hunting I've had my fair share of incidents. And since they haven't solved the murders of the Virginia Tech Students In Jefferson National Forest not carrying isn't a option for me. I've made it mandatory.

August 28, 2009
    Another tragedy for Va. Tech, two students murdered in Jefferson National Forest

The bodies of Virginia Tech students David Lee Metzler, 19, and Heidi Lynn Childs, 18, were discovered Thursday morning at the Caldwell Fields Campground, located off of US 460. The pair were shot to death.

Metzler’s body was found inside his 1992 Toyota, while Childs’ was found outside. Their murder occurred sometime between Wednesday evening and Thursday morning.

The campsite is a popular destination for Virginia Tech students, and the apparent random nature of the crime has police worried.

Montgomery County Sheriff Tommy Whitt said: “We are going to step up our patrols in that area even though we think it was a random act of brutal violence.”

Sheriff Whitt described the double-murder as “brutal and ugly,” and added: “We feel like possibly an intruder came in and subsequently both of the persons are now deceased.”

Though police are searching for several persons of interest who were seen in the area, they have given no details or descriptions of the individuals.

Both Metzler and Childs were sophomores. Childs’ father is a Virginia State Trooper.

Continue reading on Examiner.com Another tragedy for Va. Tech, two students murdered in Jefferson National Forest - Norfolk Crime | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/crime-in-no...dered-jefferson-national-forest#ixzz1oXnhUETe

11. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    In GA you can carry while bowhunting if you have your carry license. I carry my Glock 23, .40 cal. just about all the time.

12. The Butcher

The Butcher Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    here is the legal equipment laws for archery in Kansas...
    ARCHERY
    Longbows, recurve bows, or compound bows — hand drawn, that have no mechanical device to lock the bow at full or partial draw, and are designed to shoot only one arrow at a time. (Elk hunters must have a draw weight of at least 50 pounds.) A crossbow or bow with drawlock device is not legal for archery season, except by disabled persons who possess a special permit issued by the department. No electronic devices may be attached to the bow, except for lighted sight pins, dots, or holographic sights. Range-finding devices and optical scopes or sights that project no visible light toward the target and do not electronically amplify visible or infrared light may be used. Lighted nocks may be used on arrows. Arrows must be equipped with broadhead points that cannot pass through a ring 3/4-inch in diameter when fully expanded. Non-broadhead arrows may be in possession while hunting but may not be used to hunt big game. Devices capable of dispensing chemicals to take big game animals may not be used. Archery permit holders may not have a firearm in possession while hunting big game. Any-season permit holders may not possess firearms during archery season.

13. Where's Bruce?

Where's Bruce? Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Orange County-People's Republik of Mexifornistan
    That's what happens when liberals control a state. That is messed up. Calif. is almost as bad but when I bowhunt, I take a gun hunter with me (too many lions and pot grows/meth labs here). The rifle guy can legally hunt coyotes year round. Is a .308 semi-auto overkill for yotes? LOL

When I carry a sidearm it's a .40 cal Glock 22.

14. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    They just passed the law in PA to allow us to carry while hunting. I for one started carrying my 9MM when bowhunting. There are just too many bears around where I hunt these days and some are getting bolder. I know its just a 9MM, but I can get off a lot of shots if needed and make quite a racket to hopefully fend off a bear.

Between the bears and never knowing when you might run into someone at night.... I feel a bit better carrying.

15. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have my .40 with me on nearly every sit.

It's a peace of mind thing.

I hate bears and poachers, and I've had both of them too close to me and not been armed.

16. gummy034

gummy034 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the responses, next season I shall carry mine as well.

17. round cam

round cam Newb

Dislikes Received:
    We have a new CCW law here in WI finally. But Mrs Round Cam is unwilling to give me the check book for the $50 app fee. Last time she did that, I bought a new bow.

We are allowed to open carry. But I think my beautiful GP100 will clash with the Bowtech camo.

18. The Amatuer

Dislikes Received:
    Upgrade..to a .357 for bears and those hard to keep down pot heads.

19. The Amatuer

Dislikes Received:
    Depending when you got it? Mine is a bit old like 1987 bought in California Blued with the soft grips. Far as clashing with the Bow Tech it might push the Bow Tech to the side.

20. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes in NY we are not allowed to carry while bow hunting, in fact we can not be in possession of any fire arm concealed or otherwise. An exception is a lic handler of a leashed tracking dog...and in that case it's only the handler that can carry.

I carry depending on my location, I need to change that habit and carry all the time.