Carrying a sidearm

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by AZChokester, Apr 26, 2011.

1. kskcheche

kskcheche Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Greg is wrong, according to the Missouri Wildlife Code it is allowed. The Wildlife Code book is LAW. A new one is issued every August.
    Greg quoted from the Guide booklet, which is referring to hunting rifles, not hand guns.
    Chapter 7
    http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/3csr/3csr.asp

Page 6

"(A) Any person who has been issued a
    concealed carry endorsement on a driver
    license or non-driver license and such
    endorsement or license has not been suspended,
    revoked, canceled, or denied may
    carry concealed firearms on or about his/her
    person while hunting;"

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  2. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I thought "firearm" was pretty clear in the regs, but after reading your post I just called the MDC headquarters ... Had to be transferred three times up levels of supervision before someone finally knew the answer.

Turns out -- according to them -- we were sort of both right: Before this year, you could NOT carry while bowhunting, even with a CC license. There have been recent changes put into effect however that WILL allow someone with a concealed carry permit starting this fall.

The supervisor reiterated, of course, that this does not allow for long guns (rifles, shotguns) but only for the pistol you're allowed to carry and licensed for in conjunction with your CC permit (which technically speaking, a CC permit is not tied to any specific pistol...).

3. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for that info greg and kskcheche and i will bet it will trow alot of guys into a wirl here in mo.
    As far as having to go thru so many people in charge to get a straight anwser i bet they will let the agents in the field know that info ... Right?

Some more of a agents interpatation on the wildlife code book is coming if you ask me, watch them argue over things like this while they pass out tickets to people. I deal with a few of them on property rights here and none of them say the same thing twice.and i will bet there will be alot of court $$ generated over this.:D

4. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I used to but decided that I can do without the extra 5 pounds. From everyone's account that I know that have been mauled by bears (3), there wasn't ever a chance to use one anyway. I don't walk around with a ground rod hanging out my ass in case I get struck by lightning so I guess I can do without the bulky .44 on my hip in case of a bear mauling as well. I used to keep it in the tent but now I figure that it's better to have a big rifle in the tent instead.

Anyone want to buy a nice teflon coated snub nose S&W 629?

5. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    From what I've been told about bears and firearms, it's more the muzzle flash that helps rather than the lethality of it all. BUT, I've heard said, if ya can't hit a bouncing tennis ball at 30 MPH you're better off with mace, but I sure like my .40 on my hip.

6. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sort of with you, Ben... I've heard the same thing about a cougar attack, and I still want to take my chances that I might not be able to pull in time to prevent the attack -- but something comforts me even just a little about the thought of being able to bury my muzzle into fur and sending 15 FMJs as fast as I can pull the trigger into something if it ever happens.

7. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Short answer, no and no.
    Longer answer: So far I have not seen a need to carry around here. I asked one of our Wildlife Officers during a hunters safety course of the legality of this. He said it could technically be considered hunting out of season. He said he personally would not give a ticket for it but he couldn't speak for other officers. He said it would be definitely be illegal if it were concealed.

8. Joshua

Joshua Newb

Dislikes Received:
    In Texas you have to have a license to carry during bow season. I know someone who stumbled on a marijuana field while scouting that was the size of two football fields, needless to say they backed outta there fast. They notified the game wardens and sheriffs department and when they went in there to bust them they ended up get n into a little shoot out and the illegals got away. Next year when I turn 21 I will be getting by concealed license. Like some have been saying better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

9. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wouldn't it be better to have a hunting partner who can't run as fast as you in bear country ??? Always store the food in his tent ?? ;) :D

Tim

10. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We can carry here but I don't. I am not too warried about the coyotes dragging my old arse down and eating me. If a mountain lion tries to eat me... I want to shoot it with bow anyways so pulling a pistol out would be the last thing on my mind in that case.

Tim

11. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    So you fancy a trip to AK this fall Tim? I'm looking for another hunting partner. ;)

12. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Gosh I would love to but I've made other plans which for some reason don't involve being bait for a brown bear. :D

Tim