Carbon.....Hip or hype?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Straight Shooter, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well, as opinionated as everyone here is on broadheads I can't wait to hear the responses on this one!
    Do you use carbon? Why or why not? DO you think it even works or is it a waste of $$$?
    If you do use it, do you prefer scentblocker or scent-lok and why? I have my own opinions, but I am really interested to hear yours!

2. Vendetta

Vendetta Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't, because people have been killing deer for many many years without it. While I am willing to do a few things to control my scent, spending hundreds of dollars on a pair of pants is not one of them. Even if I had thousands to spend on hunting, which I don't, I wouldn't buy the carbon clothes. The guy I know who has killed more huge deer than anyone else I know hunts in blue jeans and a flanel shirt when it's cool, farm coveralls when cold, and he sits on the ground and doesn't do anything for scent.

3. Straight Shooter

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting.......Thanks for your input!

4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
  5. englum_06

englum_06 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I wear the carbon base layers and thats it. Other than that, I just take my scent regime to an obsessive state.

6. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Please people ... don't bite on this topic AGAIN!!!!!!:violin:

7. Straight Shooter

Dislikes Received:
    Now, now.....I am new here and really do want to hear everyone's opinion. Dont stop the music before the party even gets started.

8. Straight Shooter

Dislikes Received:
    So you think it helps?

9. Bow Hunter Beck

Bow Hunter Beck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    well if anything all u need is the mask 70% of the scent that comes out is from your mouth so if u want it just for a comfort thats all i use it for i have the base layer and the mask thats it i see no need for the full out suit

10. Straight Shooter

Dislikes Received:
    Makes sense. You really think it helps?

11. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Carbon absorbs odors, to what extent in human odor I have no idea, and whether it can be "reactivated"or not is a completely different debate.

The scent blocking companies make some quality clothes and a lot of people buy them for the quality.

12. Vendetta

Dislikes Received:
    I think many other companies make quality clothes at a fraction of the price of the scent blocking companies. I would be willing to bet that less than 5% of people buy them because of the "quality".

13. Straight Shooter

Dislikes Received:
    here's why

Alright. Here is the reason I posted the thread. Preacher tony suspected I was trying to stir up something, but here is the truth. I started bow hunting in 02. SInce then I have killed 53 deer. EVERY single day that I have hunted I wore either Scent-Lok or Scentblocker, or both. Undergarments and whole suits, headgear and gloves. I am not sure that I want to pay what they want anymore, though. I am trying to figure out if I can wean myself off of the carbon, though. I am just really curious how many people out there actually think it is worth the money and if I have actually fooled myself into falsely thinking I need carbon. Before I even put my carbon on, I am insanely fanatical regarding scent control from top to bottom starting well in advance of season.

14. Vendetta

Dislikes Received:
    So, your real question is.. If you don't wear carbon clothes, do you see and or kill deer? I had many deer pass by me last year, all within 20 yards. I got busted 2x, neither for scent. I hunt low in a stand, and I had deer come from downwind to me. So, I'm sure you would still kill lots of deer without them. The best way to see if it works or not, is to not wear it a few times, and see if you see/kill deer you answered your question. 53 deer in 8 years, I'd say your not even going to notice.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  15. Straight Shooter

Dislikes Received:
    You are probably right. There are enough deer around that if I bugger one or two in the early season I can always go back to the carbon. Thanks for your opinion!

16. frantic29

frantic29 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd say it matters a lot when you are hunting too. In the middle of the rut I'm really convinced they really don't give a rats ass about smell. They get kind of stupid just like we do when we get horny. I do spray down with Scent killer but other than that I really don't pay attention to a whole lot. Only because I really only have one place to hunt so its hunt there no matter the weather or not at all. I have noticed that early season all the deer that come from down wind don't necessarily spook but they tend to turn around and go around where I am at. During rut they come no matter what. I could do wind sprints and walk in the woods naked dripping with sweat and they would still come. Late season tends to be good luck with anything because its probably not going to work.

17. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    IMO activated carbon clothing is but one of the many small pieces that make up the big puzzle of deer hunting. Can you kill big deer without it? Sure you can. People do it all the time. If used properly does it help increase your odds of success? Of course that's debatable, but my opinion is yes. I have been wearing activated carbon hunting clothing for the past 5 years, which just so happen to be the most successful years of my hunting career thus far. I certainly don't attribute all of that success merely to my clothing, but I do feel it plays its part.

One of the things I enjoy most about hunting is that there's so many ways to go about it, each one with it's own unique set of pluses and minuses. If you don't want to use carbon clothing, you don't have to. If you want to be extreme with your scent control and containment, the tools are there for you to do so.

In the end no clothing, bow, broadhead or any other piece of gear is going to substitute or make up for old-fashioned hunting prowess that puts you in the right place at the right time. Do that, you'll be successful no matter what you're wearing.

With that said, in about a month you'll find me perched 20 feet up wearing my comfy ScentBlocker gear and waiting for my next taxidermy bill to walk by. :tu:

18. Bob Thomas

Bob Thomas Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have to ask this question. What kind of proof does anyone have that carbon eliminates scent? I'm a doubting Thomas.
    What about breath?
    Sorry, I think it's a huge waste of money.

19. Straight Shooter

Dislikes Received:

Good Luck Bro! I hope you light em up this season!

20. Straight Shooter

Dislikes Received:
    I dont know, man.......I have been searching for some definitive proof like test results from an independant lab or something.....:confused: