Captains/Mods/Admin

Discussion in '2018 Deer Contest' started by dnoodles, Nov 14, 2018.

?

Should we as Mods/Admins/Captains enforce this rule ?

Poll closed Dec 14, 2018.
  1. yes, Captains audit team entries

83.3%
  2. yes, make the mods or admins do it

11.1%
  3. No, LET CHAOS REIGN!!!!

5.6%
  1. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    we seem to have a bit of a problem with scoring.
    This is all for fun, and most of us know it. And there are definitely some members who either don't know how to score antlers (ahem; pot meet kettle) or who must keep their significant others away from any measuring devices. In the spirit of Sportsmanship, we should all assume any mistakes in the measurement scoring category are honest.

However, there is a definite issue with following the simple rules- especially the 2 pics with kill AND weapon rule.

As it now stands, I can think of several entries which are currently counted on the scoreboard which do not meet this standard. I also seem to remember entries in years' past that were DQd for not meeting the same criteria.

I am slightly torn on this. On one hand, I think that rules are rules and this is a pretty simple one to follow. On the other, I think I may be being a stick in the mud.

so what do you all think? Poll above.

walter.gif

2. rbhunting1

rbhunting1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The rules are the rules. This is not the Florida election.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3. JasonOhio2018

JasonOhio2018 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I say give them a chance to come up with the pics, if they can’t then they are DQ’d. Posting wrong pics I can Understand. Not getting the correct pics because you didn’t read the rules? Better luck next year. Gotta draw a line somewhere. Everybody has a smart phone with a timer on it if you are by yourself. No excuse there. Heck I had my processor take mine lol.
    And to add. I am not bypass. My teammate tagged a doe and did not get the required pics. It was not even entered.

cantexian and dnoodles like this.
  4. vanfossen

vanfossen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Rules are rules, they know the expectation. This is the problem with todays world no one is held accountable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dnoodles and early in like this.
  5. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, I know one of my teammates did not get 2nd pic of his doe. I advised him to get the packages out of the freezer and post one of him, his bow, and a box of his butchered deer. At least be creative about it.

6. siwulat

siwulat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also audit for incorrect measurements. I’ve seen a few counting the “tip” of the main beam as a “G”. 8 pts with G4’s, 4s with g2s, etc.

I’m not an expert scorer by any stretch but the tutorial posted is very helpful.

foodplot19 and dnoodles like this.
  7. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    I made that mistake on my second entry; but did not matter as he only counted for 50 and he was more than double that in inches. Maybe I am wrong but I think the teams have been largely doing that on their own. I got a PM about mine, people are not afraid to call others out on that one- honest mistake or not.

8. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm all about chaos....
    Why????
    Because no one else was going to and that option looked lonely.

WillO, foodplot19 and dnoodles like this.
  9. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Their is no option for voting @dnoodles is a stick in the mud?

Rules are rules. I'm not so worried about does and have no idea what I am looking for with antler measurements but I have teammates that do. However, this is for fun and I do believe at very least you need to have your bow or crossbow in the pic. That being said, team 5 is all checked and up to date, I think..
    Team 5 captain

Benny_Bucks and dnoodles like this.
  10. siwulat

siwulat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think you're right. Like you said all in good fun and I don't think anyone is doing anything maliciously...at least I hope not! I certainly had no idea how to score until reading that thread.

foodplot19 likes this.
  11. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Leave it to you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

CoveyMaster likes this.
  12. vanfossen

vanfossen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lovehunt11 both of his entries shouldn’t count. He’s even been told and can’t get it right. Like watching Afghans trying to do jumping jacks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

airenlow and dnoodles like this.
  13. Benny_Bucks

Benny_Bucks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm sure not a pro at scoring deer but I know I try hard to follow the rules for the two pictures with the bow clearly visible in the picture. My team holds each other accountable for scores as well as taking proper pictures following the rules. As @dnoodles pointed out to me he thinks I shorted myself several inches when I scored my buck. I didn't want the score I posted to get counted in the scorecard since I didn't post the scorecard with my original post. I'll have Brad change it when I get to the taxidermist.

cml5895 likes this.
  14. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If we are going to play 100% by the rules for some of the minor infractions (like not having a bow in both pics.) it makes the most sense to me to have the captains enforcing the rules for their team, and streamlining everything for our mods. I would rather hear from my captain immediately, while there is still time to correct a mistake. He is going to be able to react to a potential disqualification much faster than an admin going through hundreds of scores. On top of everything else that they do.

I know I would be frustrated if an admin notified me that my deer has been DQ'd two weeks after being entered, with no way to rectify the mistake. And yes, if someone doesn't take the time to read through the rules, it's their fault a deer gets axed. Our system isnt very complicated.

15. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:

16. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    I've gone back through Team 23 scores again. I believe we are in good shape.

17. Benny_Bucks

Benny_Bucks Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Team 27 is all square except my score. I put a note on the scorecard that I'd be rescoring on my initial post. Hopefully having that done tomorrow afternoon.

foodplot19 likes this.
  18. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Will you guys accept a doe entry using pic of hunter, weapon, and already processed deer as the second pic? His first pic is fine.

...I can't believe I'm asking this

19. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I just had 50 points removed from my team for pictures without the bow in them.

IMO, rules are pretty clear cut specifying "deer", hunter and weapon must be included. If a pack of steaks will suffice I'd like to get our 50 back as well.

I think changing the rules in the 2nd half of Nov. is slippery territory. Should be done like any other rules change. End of season by a captains vote. 2nd buck for a doe was done this way a couple seasons ago for a few members who couldn't shoot does. Dubbed the "shed" rule, not sure if the "fergie" clause was done same way or not.

I think leeway has been given where it should. Allowing deer recovered weeks after, pics with hunter, bow and skull cap and such. I remember several contests ago I think it was NYbowhunter shot a buck that fell off a cliff or into a ravine and busted half ita rack. He was allowed to score and enter it as it was clear the pieces fit together.

I feel any mid-contest exceptions should be made by the admin/mod running the contest as has always been the case.

I take full blame for our entry that was counted when it shouldn't have. You can see back in our thread late October I said it likely would not count and if he shot another submit it. Forgot all about it after that until I seen the commentary thread and went back and reviewed.

foodplot19 and gri22ly like this.
  20. foodplot19

Dislikes Received:
    We have a similar instance going on currently. We have one pic without the bow. He is going to get the euro mount back from the taxi. and take 2 pics with bow and himself and the euro. It is his first buck taken.
    Thoughts?