Can't find deer! Help!

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by caddis74354, Oct 11, 2012.

1. caddis74354

caddis74354 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    How long should it take for a medium doe to expire from a neck shot? Before you give me any grief, I know it was a terrible shot, so I don't want to hear about it. It hit her high on the neck, about four inches from the bottom of the jaw. Mechanical broadhead, no pass through, she ran about 10 yards, stopped, no blood, ran another 15 yards, stopped, no blood, then out of my line of sight. looked for 2 hours, no blood. Too dark gonna look in the morning. Is there any hope? has anyone ever shot one in the neck?

2. Slider46

Slider46 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If there's "no blood" how's she supposed to die? Did you find the arrow? Any blood on anything?

Yeah you don't want to hear about it but how in the heck did you manage to hit her in the neck? Did she move when you released the arrow?

3. JustDad1520

JustDad1520 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Then you probably shouldn't have posted.

4. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    May live as long as infection doesn't kill her.

5. wolvenkinde

wolvenkinde Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    no blood...look where she stopped and no arterial or if nothing being coughed up she will prob'ly live as Parker stated. Last Dec I had a good(lookwise and from beds after while trailing) shot that must have deflected forward off a rib...it came out the front of her and had cut the trachea...good blood trail and could see where she coughed up blood lots when bedded. I gave her 2 hrs and went after her hard when I heard yotes start on her. Ended up losing her at a neighbors bait pile after about a mile semicircle. It looked like the yotes did too with all the other deer around and blood let up as well. Anyway - wouldn't ya know I got her on camera several times through out the winter starting 2.5 weeks after the shot(at the same stand to) and into april when the lumps from the entry and exit all but disappeared. She lost a ton of weight and I wouldn't believe it if I didn't have the
    pics...crap happens like that and the twigs you don't see(cost me a couple miles of trailing for naught before) so I won't preach.

6. caddis74354

Dislikes Received:
    Well I took my dog out as a last ditch effort to find a blood trail, and wouldn't you know it she found the damn trail! followed her blood for about an hour, found the arrow, mechanical didn't open, but from the looks of it she's a gonner by the morning. Had some really heavy blood.
    About the shot.. (sigh). I really do not know what happened. I feel like crap, my other two deer died within minutes this season.

7. JDhom

JDhom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    WOW!! Next time use a feild tip and aim for its ear like the pochers do with a 22lr. Dont even try to finder her it to much work just go out and shoot at another one tomarrow! Hunter ethics are all bullchit anyway! Keep up the good work!!

8. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The first deer i killed was a neck shot it wasnt as far up as yours but it was a pass through and she dropped right there. she bled there but after about 45 minutes she still moved a little and i couldnt get another arrow in her(behind tree) so i climbed down and had to slit the the neck to finish her. you deer is probably down but it will probably take longer than normal to expire.

9. ArcheryAddict21

ArcheryAddict21 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    if shes not bleeding right at the shot then you didnt get the artery.. i shot a buck in the neck on year and it hit the artery and with no where for the blood to go but out it was a flood right to him maybe 30 yards away. just stick with the lungs next time.. much easier

10. cowboy243

cowboy243 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    "Hunter ethics are all bullchit anyway!" Sorry I really don't agree with that statement at all!!!!! Stick with it and give it your all. We have all had some hard tracks before. Good luck! Be prepared for a sleepless night.

11. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    good luck in the morning.

Any chance we could get a list of things to post for these threads so we could all just copy and paste? It would really save a LOT of time. Especially this year.

12. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Guys, I understand we are going to get these threads. It's the nature of the beast. But, this is a warning for all the guys jumping all over the poster and being a complete **** before you know all the facts. It breeds negativity around here and I for one won't put up with it. So, chill out a bit or don't post.

To the OP. Good to see you aren't giving up. Glad you used your dog to help. Good luck in the morning and hopefully you find her.

13. Pro V1

Pro V1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nicely done Dan. :tu:

14. caddis74354

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you Dan, I appreciate the optimism. I haven't been able to sleep hardly at all tonight.

15. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have made two neck shots and both bucks were recovered. Both had great blood. One went maybe 100 yards into a swamp. My 3 month old chocolate lab found him easily. The next was a merry chase because I didn't wait long enough and stupidly didn't wait til the next morning and come back with Rebel (the lab). That buck traveled several hundred yards before laying down in a man's yard and dying.

We all make less than perfect shots and hoepefully as I did, we all learn something from them. I wish I was close enough to help you look. Good luck.

16. Itswhatwedooutdoors6

Itswhatwedooutdoors6 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    nicely said!!!

17. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If the broadhead (and this seems unlikely) didn't open, you essentially have a target tip. the neck is a muscle except for the spinal bones. The lack of a pass through may indicate you hit bone. if so, then there's a good chance that doe is toast. Get that dog back out there and bring home some supper.

18. Cablebob

Cablebob Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    did you find her?

19. Muzzy Man

Muzzy Man Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    chirp chirp chirp chirp chirp.....

I am laying odds on a gutpile at the end of this thread.

20. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yup

Yup...with you on that one. She said lots of blood, must be more than a muscle hit.