Cancooker ?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by kurveball18, Mar 18, 2016.

1. kurveball18

kurveball18 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys,

I'm a lazy single guy and really like the idea of being able to cook good meals fast like this cancooker advertises. Most are saying in an hour or less which is fricken awesome.

The question I have is. Is there other brands that you know of that are pretty much the same thing? or is the Cancooker the only one out. I like to really see all my options before I buy something. I tried doing a google search and never really found anything.

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure if other options exist but I know for a fact that you can't go wrong with the Cancooker! I have one and love it! Planning on using it this weekend!

3. BB4tw

BB4tw Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Just a tip. Don't add frozen vegetables like peas, beans, broccoli, etc. at the same time as everything else. They turn to mush.

Meat and potatoes in from start and add the green vegies about half way through.

Raw carrots can go in at the beginning though.

4. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm getting one of these soon!

5. WELDO

WELDO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've never used a can cooker. But I'm on my second NuWave oven. If you have 110 power you can make a 6 lb chicken in a little over an hour. Also frozen chicken breast, steaks , pork chops or burgers are ready in short amount of time. Cooks veggies well also. I found my current one on Craigslist in new condition for 45 bucks. When I'm not grilling I'm NuWaven . I highly recommend it in your kitchen

6. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    IMO the CanCooker is about the simplest way to cook a meal that I know of. Other than ordering take-out or delivery. :lol:

If you're cooking for 3-4 people max I'd look at the CanCooker Jr as it's the perfect size. I use mine on my stove a lot. Depending on clearance of items over your stovetop (fan, microwave, etc.) you may or may not have room for the original.

If you do get one there's 3 things I've learned:
    - make sure you add enough liquid, even if you think it's too much. Having too much is better than not enough.
    - add a lot of seasoning.
    - you pretty much can't go wrong. Add whatever you think is going to taste good, cook and enjoy. I've yet to make a meal in my CanCooker that didn't turn out good.

7. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome, 3-4 people is perfect. I was unsure as I was thinking the original one is too big and the Jr. being too small. That clears that up. I want to get the Jr. one then for myself at home and then also during bow season as it is usually my dad and I and sometimes my uncle and grandpa if they hunt that weekend.

8. Daryl Bell

Daryl Bell Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This info was helpful to me as well, thanks guys!

9. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We had one in the raffle at our RMEF banquet last night and it had more tickets in it than anything else by at least two to one!

10. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What is try advantage of this vs say a crock pot?

11. kurveball18

Dislikes Received:
    From what i've read its basically a mix between a steamer and a pressure cooker. Cooks food like a crockpot would but much faster.

12. Robson

Robson Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My wife and I bought an electric pressure cooker, and I would recommend that over a can cooker. We have literally cooked everything in it. Frozen chicken breasts and potatoes, fully cooked in 12 minutes Insert is dishwasher safe. Has its own timer. Probably costs what a cancooker does too

13. BigPhil_H

BigPhil_H Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I also have the CanCooker Jr. and can attest that it's awesome and worth the money. I've done just about everything in it - chicken legs, thighs, wings, pork loin, pork chops, ground sausage, kielbalsa sausage, potatoes, onions, veggies, etc. and like everyone else has said, everything has turned out great. Also, as Justin said, make sure you add enough liquid or you're going to burn the bottom tainting your food. There's also some good videos on Youtube.