Can you hunt with a target bow?

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Zachary Fetalvero, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Zachary Fetalvero

Zachary Fetalvero Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was wondering if it is okay to hunt with a target bow? I got a good deal on a compound bow that I want to hunt with, come to find out that it is a target bow... Should I sell it and get a hunting specific bow or will it be okay/good to use the bow I have? 2016 PSE Supra DM Thank you for the help!!!

Brandon backwoods likes this.
  2. NMGuy

NMGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Can you hunt with a target rifle?

The answer is yes!

As long as it can sling lead or arrows at appropriate velocities with appropriate projectiles then you can hunt with it!

Fix and Zachary Fetalvero like this.
  3. Zachary Fetalvero

Zachary Fetalvero Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Cool! Thanks NMGuy! I am a little worried that the construction of the bow would be too different and not hold up in harsh conditions or not perform in less than ideal situations. Is that a legitimate concern or do I have nothing to worry about?

NMGuy likes this.
  4. NMGuy

NMGuy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m not quite as familiar with archery equipment, but usually stuff made for target and competitive use is very durable.

Target shooters are going to shoot and handle their bows or firearms a LOT more than a hunter will. So they’re usually very durable if not more so.

Zachary Fetalvero likes this.
  5. Zachary Fetalvero

Zachary Fetalvero Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you so much for the feedback NMGuy! That helps put my mind at ease. Gonna give it a go and see how it goes!

6. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's a good bow and you will have no issues with that bow.

7. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I honestly don't know the difference to constitute Target vs hunting bow and or if there is such a thing.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  8. John T.

John T. Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm thinking that a target bow might launch a lot more arrows per year than the average hunting bow...unless the bowhunter practices a lot. Lancaster Archery Supply has a ton of hunting and target bows. Not a whole lot of difference.

9. Zachary Fetalvero

Zachary Fetalvero Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, looking forward to taking it out!

10. PreacherMan76

PreacherMan76 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Me and my son hunt with "target" bows. I have a 30" draw and my son a 31" draw. We prefer longer ATA bows so we both shoot elite v37 bows.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

11. Brandon backwoods

Brandon backwoods Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes a target bow is a bow aslong as it has the power to kill the animals you want to take you can hunt with a 45 pound recurve even one with out the curved limbs like the Ebay cheap ones just remember to use the low grain arrows if you use one like that but That honestly all depends on What kinda target bow your Using ? A target bow is a Recurve even a solid limb to even a 1200$ dual limb bow but what ever your Using just get some Carbon Express Arrows and have fun go get em Remember this. 200 FPS is 40 yards For a Kill .. 240 FPS 50 yards killing power 300 F.P.S and up 60 yards killing power If its Under 300 fps Just use a 3 pin Sight and practice that heart shot

Rebel

12. Brandon backwoods

Brandon backwoods Newb

Dislikes Received:
    A Supra Dude thats a Monstor bow For a Beginner that will take a Mule Dear at 60 yards easy Very Expensive and very Worth whatever you paid thats Got more power than any of my 4 compund bows you Lucky

Rebel

13. Kyle Rayburn

Kyle Rayburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Used an Athens exceed 300 to shoot a lot of deer. Think it was 35 inches ata. That was out of a climber no problem...much longer than that woulda be a little more tricky i think. Sitting on the ground I could barely shoot without being on my knees but could be done. Any longer i dont think I could have. Just my experience.

Sent from my LML212VL using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app