Can we talk Moose?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by wl704, Jan 27, 2021.

1. ILbowhntr

ILbowhntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Actually, it’s not as bad as a 300 RUM that I owned. That one would rattle your eye teeth. About as harsh as the old Xi Flatliner bow!

dnoodles likes this.
  2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have decided that based on my lack of access to deer hunting land I am going to dedicate the rest of my career to shooting a big elk or Moose. I would prefer a moose head on the wall.

Shocker99 likes this.
  3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Moose - Easiest/Quickest route is probably AK or Canada...most of the lower 48 that even have moose are lotteries - I know my buddy who drew in CO was 20+ years in the lottery...

Elk could be quicker, if you want to go DIY or get hooked up with a landowner tag/outfitter...

4. ILbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    When we were in Alaska last year on vacation, I talked to a few guys and found out that there’s ATV hunting north of Fairbanks. Looking into driving up next year and hauling my quad and gear.

Oldcarp likes this.
  5. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have 21 preference points for the state I live in. It will probably be three or four years before I draw. I could get lucky. The word lucky usually isn’t in the same sentence with my name :confused:

6. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive always wanted a moose head on the wall ever since a fly-in fishing trip in manitoba we were snaking through these sloughs that connected all of these little lakes. We made it around a bend and there it was. Lifted its head out of the water and probably brought up 100 gallons of water with him. Luckily it wasnt breeding season haha. He just watched us as we passed by but lets just say my nay nays were up in my stomach. Was a beautiful moment though ill never forget. Caught a lot of walleye too.

7. ILbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    A DIY moose hunt in Alaska is going to run me about 4k, depending on if I pick up a boat.
    To gather 21 points in Wyoming is $3,150. Just points. If I draw I’m over 4k for just the tag. Granted, getting to Wyoming is cheaper than getting to Alaska, but fuel was figured into the 4k.
    I can hunt Alaska every year or every other, instead of waiting another 21 years for a Wyoming or Utah tag.
    That’s the way my mind works.

dnoodles and Oldcarp like this.