Can we revisit shooting with glasses?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Matt Hackworth, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Matt Hackworth

Matt Hackworth Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I am sure it has been discussed but I am hoping my question is a little different. For those who need vision corrected for both near and far ( bifocal or progressive bifocal ) I am curious as to what solutions you have ended up incorporating, For some reason this year I can't focus on either the pin or the target ( I assume my near and far prescriptions are getting farther apart) . For those of you who have had lasik and need readers, did a verifier work? I am worried with my progressive lens glasses and a verifier if I will be able to focus through top of the glasses or not and if that would be the same as laser corrected vision and a verifier? It seems like the only way I can get a clear pin is to literally rotate my head so far towards center I can't even keep the string on the side of the nose, forget the tip of it. I feel like if my glasses focused on the inside portion of the lens instead of the center I might not have to turn my head as far and be able to find an anchor point that is repeatable. Has anyone had special glasses made with a different focusing position on the lens? I have fallen in love with bow hunting but there is no way I can even hunt this year at this point unless I figure something out. I am even willing to get lasik if that and a verifier would work well.

Thanks for your time and I hope this isn't a dead horse subject around here.

2. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I knew what to tell you.

I used to wear glasses and I found I couldn’t shoot a bow at all wearing them. Something about the way I anchor always put the rim of the glasses right in line with where I needed to aim. I ended up only wearing contact lenses.

Contacts caused their own problems while hunting. Constantly scanning looking for deer with the wind constantly in my eyes dried them out and made them irritate my eyes or worse, my eyelid would stick to them and pull one up onto the top of my eye.

I eventually ended up having LASIK done and it was the best decision I ever made.

I know this doesn’t help you, but I just thought I’d chime in.

3. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I’ll play… I lost the biggest buck of my life because I had glasses that would not allow me to look through without the frame obstructing the pin.

I got a pair that were bigger and frameless as well as changed my anchor point. I am both far sighted and and close so I have progressive glasses. I can now see my target and my pin thanks to the above.

I do use contacts sometimes if it’s going to rain as that is an issue. If I have my contacts in, I can’t see my phone real well… I hate contacts

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Progressives here, distance is generally good, I use a smaller (.1) pin but will focus more on the target and shoot without glasses. Pin blob generally centered and I can hold it best when lighter, though this often can leave you exposed.

Consistent anchor point(s) probably what is helping me a good bit as well...

Have you looked into clarifier lenses?

5. Matt Hackworth

Matt Hackworth Newb

Dislikes Received:
    No, this is helpful. Do you have to wear readers for up close or are you young enough not to have to worry about that. I actually have a Lasik consult appointment next week.

6. Matt Hackworth

Matt Hackworth Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Did you move your anchor to the side of your nose? I am noticing with the progressives I have everything is blurry as I get close to edge of the framless lens. I am due for new glasses, maybe these lens are just getting all scuffed up etc.

7. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Actually, I moved it back to my jawline. My glasses also have to be right up against my face or they will be in the way.

Check out Todd’s hunting glasses… those are prescription and I may go to something like that

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Matt Hackworth likes this.
  8. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I just turned 59 and yes, I have to wear reading glasses for reading now and for detailed carpenter work, but I can manage the forums on my phone without glasses and without having it zoomed in.

I was 49 or 50 when I had LASIK done. Before the procedure I was wearing contacts and still wearing reading glasses on top of them. After the procedure my vision was better than 20/20 and for years I didn’t need readers, but age catches up with you.

I can still see my pins perfectly well at arms length and my distant vision is still nearly perfect.

Like I said, LASIK was one of the best things I ever did.

Matt Hackworth and Tony like this.
  9. BuckHunterUnlimited

BuckHunterUnlimited Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  10. Matt Hackworth

Matt Hackworth Newb

Dislikes Received:
  11. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just recently got glasses again, two pair, one for everyday use and one for shooting ... I normally wear contacts, and do wear them for hunting/running active sports, but the glasses are just 'in case' ... the "shooting" set is a larger frame, thinner nose bridge so I have no problem aiming .... my contacts are set up for far right eye /left eye close, no problem aiming, cant do that with glasses I was told (?) ..

Matt Hackworth likes this.