Can Cooker Jr. Review

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by drath, Aug 19, 2013.

1. drath

drath Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I picked up the Can Cooker Jr. this weekend from Cabalas. Let me say that I am in no way related to Cabalas or Can Cooker. I was looking for something to make a big, easy, meal in up at the hunting cabin during deer season. I made a big pot of beef and venison stew to test it with and it turned out great. Cleanup was a little bit more difficult than I expected (yes, I did spray with nonstick) but that is the only place I can even remotely come close to saying something negative about the cooker. I give it high marks for ease of use, construction, and for the yummy factor. I made the stew on my stovetop but I can see it getting used over a campfire regularly. I added all the ingredients turned my burner to high till steam started coming out and then set it to low for 40 minutes. When finished it was a little too soupy for me so I added some more flour and gave it another 20 minutes and it came out perfect stew consistency.
    Recipe
    5 medium potatoes
    8 Carrots
    8 Celery stalks
    1 Medium onion
    1 Can whole corn
    Onion powder
    Garlic powder
    Salt
    Pepper
    16oz beef broth
    1 beer
    1 pound beef stew meat
    1 pound ground venison
    Flour
    Cut everything up as you would for a regular stew recipe and throw it in the cooker. Put meat and seasoning in last (on top). Since I wanted stew, I covered the stew meat chunks in flour in a zip lock bag like you’d batter fish for a fish fry. This is done to thicken up the broth. Then toss a little extra flour in on top and you won’t have to add any at the end like I did (or I guess you could use less beer or beef broth). Place the cooker on a low heat source for 40 minutes and go mow your lawn or something. Seriously, that’s all there is to it. No stirring, nothing. It’s that easy.
    Next I’m thinking about trying some corn on the cob, sausage, shrimp and new potatoes… Craw boil style. Can’t wait.

-D

2. DCthebowhunter

DCthebowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds tasty!

3. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Can Cooker rocks!

4. Dawn Assassin

Dawn Assassin Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I was thinking about getting one from "Bone collector" i love to cook soups and stews with my crock pot but the can looks more manlier then my crockpot lol also really would have loved a picture of the finished product :)

5. Deadon20

Deadon20 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I made a huge batch of stew the other day in my can cooker and I wish I would of tried your flour trick because mine turned out to watery.

image.jpg

Craig Roffers
    Bhod pro staff

6. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I gota Can Cooker last week and think I will have to give this a try this weekend!

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 4